Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #1

For people who went from K-X to K-7

Hey guys! This is not a thread that compares which is better, K-X or K-7. There are already many threads out and yes I know, it's a very touchy subject. This is also not a thread about upgrading or downgrading bodies.

This is a thread for people who have had the K-X but changed to K-7.
Recently, I've been playing around with the K20D and I really love it's features. The K-X is my first dslr and I really do love it. However, I really do love the extra features of the K20D. Now the K-5 is an option but currently, way out of my budget - I still need (or should I say, want) new glass. LBA! Therefore, I'm looking into the K-7 - it's pretty much identical to the K-5 physically.

So those of you who went from K-X to K-7 - how do you feel?
Is there any regret, etc?

Last edited by idkjai; 12-12-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo!
12-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No regrets whatsoever at all, but then again in addition to the K7, I have also kept my Kx. I would have sold my Kx, but they have dropped too much in price to make it worth selling. For the record, I do find myself shooting with the K7 more than the Kx
12-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The availability of K-x high-iso and better quality picture at dim lighting and then the external function button for K-7 and its good dynamic range during daylight using lower iso is kind of a trade off between the two. Changing of functions and some parameters on the fly with K-7 is so much easier.
Knowing how to use external flash in manual wont keep you from using K-7 dusk till dawn. ( don't let the camera control the flash . .)

...buaobao
12-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Unless you would really miss the higher ISO then it's a no brainer, the extra control you get with the K7 make it a worthwhile upgrade.

12-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've never looked back... Always been super happy that I moved up.
12-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
No regrets whatsoever at all, but then again in addition to the K7, I have also kept my Kx. I would have sold my Kx, but they have dropped too much in price to make it worth selling. For the record, I do find myself shooting with the K7 more than the Kx
Same for me. I find myself shooting much more with the K7. I do a lot with strobes, though so that makes sense. I'll usually bring the Kx with and get some candids during the shoot with natural light.

The AF accuracy of the K7 over the Kx alone was what made me keep it.
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great feedback so far guys! Thanks a lot!! Keep them coming! Does the lower sensitivity bother any of you guys?

12-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by idkjai Quote
o far guys! Thanks a lot!! Keep them coming! Does the lower sensitivity bother a
well kinda, I did miss the high ISO capabilities of the kx
but for the ease of use, and other features, no regrets
12-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great feedback so far guys! Thanks a lot!! Keep them coming! Does the lower sensitivity bother any of you guys?
Yes. It didn't though until I started shooting sports. Now, it bugs me since I know that there is a K-5 out there that is sooo much better.

I'll own the K-5 someday (price is just a bit high for me now).
12-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I went from the K-x to the K-7, but like many others kept the K-x. Of course, like a vampire, it mainly comes out in dark or low-light situations. The K-7 on the other hand, is my go to camera during the day, especially for bracketing shots and HDR. You can bracket five shots vs. the K-x's three, at a flick of a button (when you have it customized) versus menu diving. Other than that, I like having the front and rear wheels. They make changing settings quicker and easier for me. And now that I'm using Lightroom 3, I'm finding I can get a lot of usable high ISO images out of the K-7 due to LR3's noise reduction feature.
12-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
You can bracket five shots vs. the K-x's three, at a flick of a button (when you have it customized) versus menu diving. Other than that, I like having the front and rear wheels. They make changing settings quicker and easier for me. And now that I'm using Lightroom 3, I'm finding I can get a lot of usable high ISO images out of the K-7 due to LR3's noise reduction feature.
I never knew the K-7 was able to bracket five shots - and at the flick of a button - very interesting! Thanks for the tip, it'll come in very handy.
At first, I really didn't mind menu diving with the K-x but after playing with the K20d, the front wheel grew on me and menu diving became not so fun. Hahah.
I was a bit afraid of the noise especially at 1600 iso on the K-7 but I really wouldn't mind PP the noise! (I must admit that with the K-x, I never had to use noise reduction.)
12-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #12

K-7 does not have tethered computer remote control like my K20D did. Not a big deal if you don't shoot studio or with a setup.
12-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManOf7 Quote
K-7 does not have tethered computer remote control like my K20D did. Not a big deal if you don't shoot studio or with a setup.
Hmmm, that does suck - now why would they take such a feature out of the K-7!
12-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
wll
Veteran Member

Hmmm, that does suck - now why would they take such a feature out of the K-7!

Yes it does, and one of the main reasons I have K20D all over my house and office and no K-7's.

I will be getting a K-5 or two (when the price comes down) but I will not sell the K20D's.

wll
12-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #15

I'm considering helping my daughter buy a K-x. For her it's a great fit as a young shooter with a good eye, but not as much knowledge. I love my K-7 and it's wonderful shooting experience and amazing image control. If you are into lots of control over the picture taking process you will want to go with the K-7. If you are just getting into photography the K-x is the right way to go. If your skill level has grown and you are ready to move up to a more capable and controllable camera the K-7 or even K-5 is a worthy upgrade.