Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Not for me also

12-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've posted several times on this and linked to several reviews on this issue.

Is higher Class # better - usually but it depends.

Are all SD cards made in the same factories - no, that's just plain fantasy. There are real differences between many of them because they are made in different factories to different standards, for example the SanDisk Class 10s consistently have better performance by a significant margin than a large group of competitors but they also cost significantly more too.

Do you only need Class 10 for video - again, no but it depends. If you are doing bursts, particularly in RAW, then you do need Class 10 (preferably from a solid maker with real #s that justify that circled 10 on the label) to maximize how many photos you can write during that burst.

The best review of the SD card issue that is relatively current, IMHO, can be found here:
Memory Cards, Part 2: SDHC Cards From 8GB To 16GB : Class 6+ SDHC Cards Compared

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-18-2010 at 07:58 PM.
12-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you are doing bursts, particularly in RAW, then you do need Class 10 (preferably from a solid maker with real #s that justify that circled 10 on the label) to maximize how many photos you can write during that burst.
With even the fastest current SDHC cards the sustained write speed doesn't match what the camera can produce so the benefit is somewhat marginal. I would think that you might get one more frame with the burst (if even that) and this would depend on the camera to be able to write at the full available bandwidth which it probably can't as it is busy with moving the data from the sensor to RAM and processing it. I suppose the benefit is mostly in faster recovery for the next burst. It is a benefit too, of course, and class 10 cards prices have come down so close to class 6 that they are worth having even if one doesn't absolutely need that :-)
12-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
With even the fastest current SDHC cards the sustained write speed doesn't match what the camera can produce so the benefit is somewhat marginal. I would think that you might get one more frame with the burst (if even that) and this would depend on the camera to be able to write at the full available bandwidth which it probably can't as it is busy with moving the data from the sensor to RAM and processing it. I suppose the benefit is mostly in faster recovery for the next burst. It is a benefit too, of course, and class 10 cards prices have come down so close to class 6 that they are worth having even if one doesn't absolutely need that :-)

If you are just taking a few snapshots then a Class 2 card can do you just fine and they are dirt cheap. If you want to get the most out of your camera then a higher speed card will help you maximize its performance. It's like lenses - you can compromise and work around or you can spend the money. The biggest difference is that you can have the fastest SD Card for <$50 whereas the fastest * lens is a wee bit more out of your budget. Frankly, because of this, on SD cards I do not understand compromising.