Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20 hits the dirt.... New K7.

Hello All!

I was recently shooting in outdoors in a park took a little fall. Unfortunately my k20 hit the dirt before I did. It hit lens first (cheap tamron 70-300). It went dead so I quickly took out my backup K10 body and put my Tamron lens on on it. When I got home I too the battery out of my K20 and tried to revive her. It came back to life and seemed to work fine. The next day I had a couple sessions in the same park and all went well ( I thought) Over 50% of my photos were slightly off focus. I dropped off my k20 in a local shop here in NYC (Calumet) and they suggested I send it out for a better look. I figured It was worth $20 to have Pentax look at it. They felt it was some sort of calibration issue between the sensor and where lens mount is. I got an estimate back for $246 and just gave approval to get the repair done.

Does this seem logical?

In the mean time to make myself feel better about the whole thing I bought a K7 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens.

K7 owners, Is it normal for your K7 to make a little noise when u turn it on?

12-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcfranchina Quote
Hello All!

I was recently shooting in outdoors in a park took a little fall. Unfortunately my k20 hit the dirt before I did. It hit lens first (cheap tamron 70-300). It went dead so I quickly took out my backup K10 body and put my Tamron lens on on it. When I got home I too the battery out of my K20 and tried to revive her. It came back to life and seemed to work fine. The next day I had a couple sessions in the same park and all went well ( I thought) Over 50% of my photos were slightly off focus. I dropped off my k20 in a local shop here in NYC (Calumet) and they suggested I send it out for a better look. I figured It was worth $20 to have Pentax look at it. They felt it was some sort of calibration issue between the sensor and where lens mount is. I got an estimate back for $246 and just gave approval to get the repair done.

Does this seem logical?

In the mean time to make myself feel better about the whole thing I bought a K7 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens.

K7 owners, Is it normal for your K7 to make a little noise when u turn it on?
A used K20 is still priced at $500 it seems. If buying the K7 and siggy made you feel better then it all seems logical to me ..

Yes, the camera will make a noise by actuating the aperture mechanism when it turns on. If you have the shaker activated at turn on, you may also hear a faint high pitched squeak. Enjoy your consolation prize..

12-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup! I felt a little better after my purchase.
That's the little squeak i was hearing.
12-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Used K20Ds are going for around $500, so half that seem justifable for repairs, but since you've now bought a K7 and have a K10D as backup, why do you also need the K20D repaired?
Start up noise probably is the sensor cleaning option. It vibrates the sensor to shake of dust particles.

12-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am thinking of selling my K10 and keeping the k20 w/ grip as a back to my K7 w/ grip.