Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I've got my first "gig"

Its my grandfather's 85th birthday party and my dad asked me to bring my camera. So it's not technically a gig, but I'm looking at it as one. I'm a little nervous because I do mostly outdoor or still life photography. The majority of people photography experience I have is drunk shots at parties! Any tips/suggestions?

09-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Its my grandfather's 85th birthday party and my dad asked me to bring my camera. So it's not technically a gig, but I'm looking at it as one. I'm a little nervous because I do mostly outdoor or still life photography. The majority of people photography experience I have is drunk shots at parties! Any tips/suggestions?
I have my first gig coming up, too! I am photographing an event for my company (they're even paying me!) I've decided what the most important items I need are (besides the camera and lenses, of course!):
Extra batteries,
Extra cf cards (I'm going to bring 3, to give me 4gb total),
Extra batteries for my flash,
A composition book (so I can write down the names of the people I am photographing; I am planning on making a presentation book for my boss).

As far as lenses, I am going to bring a 50mm, a 35 mm and the kit lens (18-55). The zoom is going to be for candid, in - the - crowd shots. Most of the pictures, though, are going to be of display tables and guests that I am going to pose.

Good luck!
09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
its all going to be family for me....so shame on me if I don't remember their names!

The thing I'm most concerned about is that I don't have a flash aside from the built in one...which I hate using due to the harsh lighting it can create. I did find
this which I hope will help.

Good luck with it! I hope you get some great shots!
09-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
its all going to be family for me....so shame on me if I don't remember their names!

The thing I'm most concerned about is that I don't have a flash aside from the built in one...which I hate using due to the harsh lighting it can create. I did find
this which I hope will help.

Good luck with it! I hope you get some great shots!
I've seen those diffusers at some stores, but I would definitely look around for some good used flashes out there. I just checked B&H- they have 12 used flashes ranging from 25-200 dollars.
Get some great shots at your gig, too

09-29-2007, 06:45 AM   #5

My suggestions fall under 2 categories: technical and event management.
Technical:
- Make sure you have charged batteries and plenty of memory cards
- If you have another camera body, take it. If you're the photographer, you're expected to deliver pictures of the event, not excuses. (And yes, this applies to family events, too)
- Think about the pictures and moments you want (and need) to capture. Don't rely on luck to get a good picture; go into the event with a plan.
- Know who are the "important" people; that is, have a list of the individuals you MUST photograph. For an 85th birthday, I would guess that list would include your grandfather, your grandfather's immediate family (brothers and/or sisters), your grandfather's children, and grandchildren.

Good luck and have fun!