Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
the 50mm lens are FA 50mm 1.4, bought it cause i have flash and wanted reasonable priced lens with for poor light conditions, 50mm was one available, i know low f-stop means low deph, i got nice dog closeups with blurry nose the focus point on eyes and continued with blurry ears, no flash very bright and nice picture done on full manual, i know some about using dslr and ive used 4 different models, and my points are: k-x isnt in the focus - always missing a little bit for some reason, but ive tired to calibrated it and all looks perfect, secondly for some reason k-x at auto mode cant take a picture by it self with respectable outcome

and just found tamron 18-200 hows focus speed comparing to DA L 18-55 ? ive read much that is slow is it that bad ? i found i mean to buy at great price and looks so universal is it worth or ill have more head ache with it ? tnx

12-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
i know low f-stop means low deph, i got nice dog closeups with blurry nose the focus point on eyes and continued with blurry ears, no flash very bright and nice picture done on full manual,
Which is what it's supposed to do. Where is the complaint?

i know some about using dslr and ive used 4 different models, and my points are: k-x isnt in the focus - always missing a little bit for some reason, but ive tired to calibrated it and all looks perfect, secondly for some reason k-x at auto mode cant take a picture by it self with respectable outcome
If you shoot auto mode photos, you'll have auto mode results. Don't expect to point and shoot and be Ansel Adams.

I think you need to understand that AF in low light, and a wide aperture is not always accurate, no matter what camera you're shooting. Some are better than others. I think to see what the Kx is actually doing, you need to do a manual focus shot to make sure everything is working properly. I think this will also help you appreciate how small of a focal point you have at F2.
12-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Learn to use the camera, or give up and go back to the canon which seems to give better results for your skill set.

Should you figure out what your doing the K-x will give better results.

As for learning the K-x:

Use center point focus

Use center weighted metering

Wait for the HAND icon to show in the view finder while half pressing the shutter before fully pressing the shutter

The K-x works very well with Av mode, set the iso to auto in a range you find the noise to be acceptable (200-3200), the camera will try to keep the shutter speed to an acceptably high speed.

Set the aperture with the dial now at a couple of steps above minimum.

If shutter speed falls below 1/90th of a second you'd better have a good holding technique to ensure sharp photos. Use your elbows to form a triangle with your body, stop breathing, and squeeze the shutter dont press it

I bet you have acceptable results, but dont expect perfection under 1/90th as subjects will move also.

Don't bother with the flash yet getting good results with it is more advanced than your ready for. If the shutter does fall below 1/90 then go somewhere else where there is more light.
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe i may have to learn more, just never seen problem of lack of knowledge when i used nikkon d90 with 18-105, or cannon rebel XTi or T1i, and 90% of pictures were acceptable, now with pentax is about 10% of them im little disappointed and im looking for reason beyond that, cause there is not a problem to get different camera but i like k-x and would like to check all possibilities before changing it which is very last thing i wanna do
Many Canon and Nikon users seem to be using their DSLRs as nothing more than glorified point & shoot cameras. Really, if you want to get the most out of the camera, regardless of brand, you really need to learn the basics of photography. Reading some of the earlier posts, you seem to understand the concepts of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. It's time to start applying that knowledge and not rely so much on the "Auto" setting. Get a little more adventurous and try either Av or M modes. Once you have practice and some understanding, the pictures should start being more the way YOU like, in contrast to what the camera thinks is best.

12-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

sorry to interrupt the energetic discussion -
but for the OP - could it possibly be this?

K-x Annoying Feature Auto mode

K-x is a very clever camera -
the AUTO PICT mode attempts to assess the scene and sets a scene mode accordingly -
so it is not working in the same way Full AUTO (green) works on other brands' dSLRs -
most of the time this is boon -
but like any automation it is not perfect -
and we are supposed to be smarter than the camera
(well OK, sometimes )

Could it be that the K-x is setting the AUTO PICT (scene mode) to Night Scene Portrait -
which is slow sync flash -
thus giving a slower shutter speed than the unwary can handhold?

Page 84 of the K-x owner's manual actually explains -
and even tell us what to do if the scene mode selected is not as we'd desire.

12-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Use center weighted metering - werticus, tnc ill try ive the widest on maybe will help a liltle.

you are getting me wrong, its not like im looking for fancy PAS (point and shoot) camera but there are situations when you need to turn it on and and just take a picture, that where somehow k-x is failing ( at least in my eyes) i dont use auto mode, but like ive said of a few dslrs i had in my hands i love k-x the most but im getting worst results, now im looking why, i know how to use dslr but i may have something done wrong, with adjustments in camera or maybe ive malfunctioning camera or maybe k-x is this way and i gotta get use to it, i dont know thats why im complaining ( not asking questions, cause if i would know the question i would find out the answer by now ;P )

or maybe is there some1 from new york running arround with k-x so i could compare ?

UnknownVT - that maybe it, so its smart camera but stupid SAP camera

just did quick check all the automated modes except moving objects keep shutter speed 1/50 or slower with higher f-stop, only moving objects do 1/100 with lowest

and pointing at the room wall with flash it shows me 1/20 and iso400, when i close the flash jumps to 1/50 and 800, why is it getting into so low shutter speeds, when actually it can do much higher ? and it does in every automated mode except moving objects where shutter rises from 1/100 to 1/180

Last edited by fafo13; 12-13-2010 at 03:56 PM.
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you have nailed the flash issue Vincent :-)

It seems AUTO PICT defaults to "Night Portrait" in low light when it IMO should default on using the flash as the main light source and offer "Night Portrait" as an explicit selection. Another misfeature of AUTO PICT is that that it doesn't use auto ISO; the point of the dial position is to be automatic, after all.
12-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Yeah, sometimes in my case - it's me that's slow to realize - if you look at that thread (K-x Annoying Feature Auto mode) - you can see me having to eat humble pie - even though Marc Sabatella was very kind and did not actually point out I was in error.

OK while we're at it
this thread might give some more hints -
there are even some examples that seem similar to your own....

try this:

K-X : Throughly Unimpressed (Disappointed)

12-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #39
Pentaxian

k-x isnt in the focus - always missing a little bit for some reason, but ive tired to calibrated it and all looks perfect, ...
Are you calibrating in the same lighting conditions you are shooting in? Your K-x will front-focus in Tungsten lighting (you need a K-7, K-5 to not suffer from this issue).

You may also want to have a look at my AF hints.

Regarding the Tamron 18-200: It is not a particularly well-regarded lens. It's 18-250 sibling is much better (but sadly out of production).
12-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
tnx for replies, reading more and more, my head feels heavier not sure if im any smarter, but thanks for trying,

looks like ill keep k-x and if ill find out how to take good pictures ill will keep it :P

ive laready checked d60 and k-5 but both i dont like the way the buttons are located etc but having t1i and k-x on hand ill come to some conclusions and will c what will happen

for now ill try harder ( opefully enjoiment wont hurt so much) but my question ( as for somehow unhappy k-x owner) i have DAL18-55 and DAL 55-300 and FA50 F1.4 lenses, is there any lens i should have to make my experience less painful or im covered fine and should sftu already ?

much tnx to all
12-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #41

Use center weighted metering - werticus, tnc ill try ive the widest on maybe will help a liltle.

you are getting me wrong, its not like im looking for fancy PAS (point and shoot) camera but there are situations when you need to turn it on and and just take a picture, that where somehow k-x is failing ( at least in my eyes) i dont use auto mode, but like ive said of a few dslrs i had in my hands i love k-x the most but im getting worst results, now im looking why, i know how to use dslr but i may have something done wrong, with adjustments in camera or maybe ive malfunctioning camera or maybe k-x is this way and i gotta get use to it, i dont know thats why im complaining ( not asking questions, cause if i would know the question i would find out the answer by now ;P )

or maybe is there some1 from new york running arround with k-x so i could compare ?

just did quick check all the automated modes except moving objects keep shutter speed 1/50 or slower with higher f-stop, only moving objects do 1/100 with lowest

and pointing at the room wall with flash it shows me 1/20 and iso400, when i close the flash jumps to 1/50 and 800, why is it getting into so low shutter speeds, when actually it can do much higher ? and it does in every automated mode except moving objects where shutter rises from 1/100 to 1/180
Did a test with my k-x and kit lens with pop up flash, and yah... seem like the camera tend to prefer iso over shutter speed, and lower iso as low as possible when you try to use flash(and lower shutter speed at the same time). This pretty much makes it useless in low light.

IMO easiest way to make it actually work is to use Tv mode and set auto iso range(200-1600/3200) This is pretty much "auto pic" as you only need to choose shutter speed once(say 1/60, 1/80 in your apartment) and you can snap away with or without flash, and both gona have the right exposure. Essentially point and shoot.

When you have more light, Av with auto iso would be better and camera wont drop shutter speed like in auto mode when you use pop up flash.

Not gona lie tho... canon or nikon probably have better "auto pic"
12-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Canon makes a lot of good gear. The T1i is not one of them. I've played with one. It's crap.
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tnx for replies, reading more and more, my head feels heavier not sure if im any smarter, but thanks for trying,

looks like ill keep k-x and if ill find out how to take good pictures ill will keep it :P

ive laready checked d60 and k-5 but both i dont like the way the buttons are located etc but having t1i and k-x on hand ill come to some conclusions and will c what will happen

for now ill try harder ( opefully enjoiment wont hurt so much) but my question ( as for somehow unhappy k-x owner) i have DAL18-55 and DAL 55-300 and FA50 F1.4 lenses, is there any lens i should have to make my experience less painful or im covered fine and should sftu already ?

much tnx to all
I don't think the answer is another lens. In other words stfu already

I would start with the 18-55 and try to figure out the technique (camera settings + lighting conditions) that gives you a sharp photo. Just like in sports, just keep practicing a simple thing - i.e., photographing a wine bottle on the kitchen table - until you get it right and then proceed from there.

There's a lot of good advice to absorb here. Good luck and let us know how it goes!