Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
k-x love camera, hate pictures

to keep it short, love camera, menus, the way its build, buttons, all about it, but im very very unhappy with quality of pictures, went even in manuals but cant find nothing, problem seems to be lack of focus, with any lenses 18mm-55mm or 55mm F1.4, every picture is blurry, to compare my gf has a rebel t1 and its much better picture, sharper, nicer colors ( a little bit i think) is there anything im missing ? camera and lens all 3 months old, bought new, ive done about 2000 pictures with it and there is maybe 20 i can say acceptable ones, rest is out of focus garbage, welp

12-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like possible backfocus/frontfocus
my k-x is adjusted to +40 with the debug menu and is sharp RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment
12-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about posting a sample?
12-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

If you are getting blurry or not as sharp pictures as you like, have you considered the following:

1. Use AF center point only and not AUTO 5 or AUTO 11, so you know exactly what you're focusing at.

2. If you have shake reduction (SR) on, are you waiting until it's FULLY activated (you see the little hand on the left side of the viewfinder) before taking your pic?

3. Have you set the CUSTOM IMAGE (i.e. Bright, Natural, Portrait...) sharpness setting to use FSHARP and not SHARP? Also, you can increase this value, too.

4. Your lens is front/back focusing with your body. Already mentioned, you can use the DEBUG menu to correct it.

5. Your lens may simply be defective (de-centered,... etc.)

6. You may simply have to stop down the lens. I think the kit-lens 18-55 should start to get acceptably sharp by F6.3-F8.0 or so?

7. Remove any lens filters if you are using any!

8. Adjust the noise reduction to start at higher ISO's. The default is after ISO 800 . NR tends to smooth things out. Oh, yeah, set the NR to LOW from the default MEDIUM.

12-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Can you give us some shots? Your experience is definitely atypical - the K-x has fantastic resolution with a lens worthy of it

K-x with the Tamron 70-200 2.8

12-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
did debugging mode, but tested and all looks fine with standard settings, and all pics i have i dont wanna put public, so ill take few and do so in few days, so far cannon looks better

maybe im just noob that dont know what is doing im more about pictures done in the room with artificial light and no flash, looks like cannon does same blurry pics 9 tried with tripod as well but same scene with flash ( full auto) cannons pictures looks more brighter, natural and crisper than pentax

Thirteen - tnx for tips, cheking it all
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

One more thing you can try:

Take a picture using Live View and then, one NOT using Live View, then compare the two.

The Live View picture should be sharp and in focus since it is "immune" to any front or back focusing of the lens with the body. This is your reference pic.

Now, any front/back focusing adjustments using the DEBUG menu, if done correctly, should result in a sharp picture that looks like the one you got using Live View.

On the other hand, if you take a picture using Live View and it's not sharp, then I suspect the problem lies with the lens itself.

12-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thirteen Quote
6. You may simply have to stop down the lens. I think the kit-lens 18-55 should start to get acceptably sharp by F6.3-F8.0 or so?

very helpful answer
for me, the kit lens is plenty sharp, it is not a prime lens or 500 zoom but f8 surely helps it
fafo13: have you tried focusing in LV ?

the shot is with DAL 18-55 @18mm/f 3,5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thirteen's advice is all sound, especially the point about removing any lens filters

Like Thirteen, I would also not immediately assume front/back focus is the issue here. LOTS of things can cause soft or blurry images aside from focus related problems. I suspect that there may be something in the way the camera is being used that is contributing to the unsatisfactory results coming out of it.

Used correctly, the K-x is capable of achieving very high levels of resolution and sharpness, matching or exceeding that of even the most recent Canon's.

Post some pix, with EXIF intact pls, and describe how you took them. That would be helpful.

Also have a look around a site like this one. Some of the tutorials, such as he one below, may be useful:
Reducing Camera Shake with Hand-Held Photos
12-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
did debugging mode, but tested and all looks fine with standard settings, and all pics i have i dont wanna put public, so ill take few and do so in few days, so far cannon looks better

maybe im just noob that dont know what is doing im more about pictures done in the room with artificial light and no flash, looks like cannon does same blurry pics 9 tried with tripod as well but same scene with flash ( full auto) cannons pictures looks more brighter, natural and crisper than pentax

what kind of aperture and shutter speed are you using? kit lens and your 55 1.4 are soft wide open. if you don't have a steady hand(or when i have too much coffee), I find shutter speed under 1/100 can have movement blur without SR(make sure you wait till it is engaged)
since you are using tripod in some shots... the 2sec delay can help, or use a remote.
Finally what flash are you using? the pop up? if it is... well conon's pop up is better =P
12-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to show us what the problem is, you aren't going to get much useful help. It'll all be guess work at best. Just continue using the Canon and your photos will be much better.. Right?

12-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
best of bunch i took with k-x with 50mm f1.4,
pic props: f2, shutter 1/50 iso1600
not happy with, no flash but out of focus and best it could do in my hands
Attached Images

12-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
i know pics are not with same settings but its not about that, its full auto on both cameras and thats the results:

LEFT cannon t1i stock lens w/ flash

36mm f4.5 1/60 iso400

RIGHT pentax k-x 50mm f1.4 lens w/flash

50mm f5.6 1/10 iso1600

as you see for some reason pentax choose hisgher iso and darker aperture sucrificing shutter speed and a result is a not sharp picture ( ofc it was me to shake it but try not with 1/10 shutter) secondly colors and flash looks way different
Attached Images

12-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to show us what the problem is, you aren't going to get much useful help. It'll all be guess work at best. Just continue using the Canon and your photos will be much better.. Right?

there you go, no if cannon will continue to take better pics or ill like her better on cannon pics i was thinking about going for d60 or get set of lenses for her t1i and use it, but i do love pentax just im only 80% happy with it and i would love to keep it just gotta find out if i cant take a good picture with it or its something it is wrong with it, so
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

f2, shutter 1/50
f2 = very narrow depth of field, meaning only a very limited and shallow plane of focus. Also most lenses are not sharpest at wide apertures.
1/50 = very high risk of motion blur due to camera AND subject movement.

Hence blur and lack of sharpness.

What mode are you shooting these photos in btw?