Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone using powermats to charge their camera?

I had a quick look around here, could be an interesting solution for carrying one battery charger for phone, camera and other things (laptops) when travelling. Anybody have input?

12-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking at the powermats, but am not sold yet. It would definitely be nice to plunk all my technology down in one place (without plugging anything in) and the batteries magically charge. But, having to increase the bulk of the items to be charged just doesn't make sense to me. I think of it this way - instead of having to lug around a universal charger, I now have to lug around the charger and semi-large adapters for every device I have. I try to minimalize my travel gear (makes more room for lenses!) and this adds bulk instead of reducing it when compared to other options.

I picked up a iGo several years ago and still use that for all of my charging needs except my camera. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an adapter for my DSLR...
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure the powerat will work. All the other devices have the charge circuits in them

I use the USB pOrt on my laptop
12-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #4

I've asked a few customers about them and they love theirs. I was surprised how much weight and size it added to the iphone and ipod touch though.

12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I'm not sure the powerat will work. All the other devices have the charge circuits in them

I use the USB pOrt on my laptop
Will the USB port charge the battery in a Pentax dslr? I had not heard that. If its true, its great news. If it isn't true, I think that it should be. The USB standard allows for "high-power" ports, that provide up to 1 amp at 5 volts. That's 5 watts. The third-party battery I have for my K10D is 1,800 mA-hours at 7.4 volts. That's 13.32 watt-hours. That means that the USB port is capable of charging the battery in less than three hours.

The European Union has mandated that all cell phones use a standard charger. According to this article in the NY Times, they have decided on a micro-USB connector. I suspect that we here in the US will benefit from this, in that the manufacturers won't want to have different charging systems for the US and European markets.

Why couldn't the camera makers hop on the wagon and charge the batter in the camera, via the USB port? They could even make the seperate charger that we have now an optional accessory. By leaving the charger out of the box, they would save a few cents. It would also make a good selling point, IMHO.
12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could try getting this instead:

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/