Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bellows

What are advantages of using one in macro photography?
Do you need a specific lens?
Is it any better than a macro lens designed for 1:1 magnification?

09-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
What are advantages of using one in macro photography?
Larger than 1:1 magnification. No dedicated macro needed
Do you need a specific lens?
No but it works best w/ the lens reversed for ordinary lenses. Also Pentax makes/made a 100mm "bellows" lens for this purpose and I supposed is designed specifically for a bellows.
Is it any better than a macro lens designed for 1:1 magnification?
Nikon makes some but as far as I know Pentax didn't doesn't unless it some obscure lens..
Nikon Macro lenses go to greater than 1:1. Micro Nikkors are the "macro" lenses you usually think about. In a debateable technical sense the consumer "macro" lenses are not macro lenses.
Good descriptions.
Special Lenses For Nikon 'F' Mount
"Nikon's terminology is literally correct, as the Macro-Nikkors only provide larger than life-size (1:1) magnification in contrast to the Micro-Nikkors, which ends their focusing range at 1:1 or 1:2 and can focus to infinity."
09-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They look like extension tubes so you can take pictures at larger magnification...

The idea of macro lens is so that you can take pictures at life size (1:1). It'll be rare to find a factory lens that can magnify objects.
09-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bellows allow very high magnification. Only use mine when the macro lens + extension tubes aren't enough by themselves. With the bellows you loose AF (no big deal), and auto aperture (unless you use the special double ended cable release) which is a big deal for fast shooting. To use this cable release on dslr you will have to make an adapter to convert mechanical rease into wired electronic release. Using normal 50mm lens with bellows gives something like 8X mag. Unusable outdoors. Hope this helps.
thanks
barondla