Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Now this is a guy who should be signed up for Pentax as a rep for their cameras!!!
Great idea, Phil! Hand the man some WR gear and he can shoot in the rain, maybe even bringing out a whole new world....

12-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very impressive, and a great video
12-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #33
Forum Member

don't these bugs fly away when you get so close?
12-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #34

He probably took many many many shots until he was satisfied. He did say something about patience. ;]

12-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazingly stunning. And wonderfully inspirational. Thank you.
12-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #36

I'm interested in knowing how he got the macro videos before the stills were shown. They were pretty impressive as well.

-Matt
12-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #37
Forum Member

wow, those shots are crazy... i remember seeing some photos and he uses a *ist DL as well... amazing pics from this guy

12-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Great stuff. Indeed the camera model has very little to do with the outcome.
very inspiring photographs
12-18-2010, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thomas gave a 2-hour presentation to our photo group here in Tulsa this past summer. He's quite an interesting character to say the least.

Interestingly enough, he doesn't give a hoot about what the gear is and has zero real interest in "photography" per se, nor is he an entomologist. His "serious art" is here: panbasket

He is honest to goodness a portraitist when it comes to his arthropod micro-photo work. He finds them incredibly beautiful and simply want to make the best pictures of them he can. He spends more time composing the frame, checking his background and ambient light for a single shot (usually over a dozen frames per image) of a jumping spider than most of us give to an entire people portrait session.

And get this - he doesn't use a tripod; I don't think he even owns one. All of those photos are handheld, most of them made with him belly in the dirt/weeds, like a Marine sniper, patiently waiting for the bug/s to calm down and forget there's a 50mm lens a couple centimeters from their compound eyeballs. He fires off a couple dozen or more shots varying the focus point and then stacks the exposures in photoshop. Other than the stacking he does very very little post processing. He feels it is imperative he present the arthropods as accurately as possible because many of his photos are used by the entomological community.

He buys Pentax because he can get lenses on the cheap. None of his lenses cost him more than $50 and he has DIY'd most of his extension tubes & flash setup. He doesn't talk gear, doesn't even talk photography; all he talks about are the arthropods.

His astrophotography skills are stellar as well (pardon the pun).
12-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Thomas gave a 2-hour presentation to our photo group here in Tulsa this past summer. He's quite an interesting character to say the least.

Interestingly enough, he doesn't give a hoot about what the gear is and has zero real interest in "photography" per se, nor is he an entomologist. His "serious art" is here: panbasket

He is honest to goodness a portraitist when it comes to his arthropod micro-photo work. He finds them incredibly beautiful and simply want to make the best pictures of them he can. He spends more time composing the frame, checking his background and ambient light for a single shot (usually over a dozen frames per image) of a jumping spider than most of us give to an entire people portrait session.

And get this - he doesn't use a tripod; I don't think he even owns one. All of those photos are handheld, most of them made with him belly in the dirt/weeds, like a Marine sniper, patiently waiting for the bug/s to calm down and forget there's a 50mm lens a couple centimeters from their compound eyeballs. He fires off a couple dozen or more shots varying the focus point and then stacks the exposures in photoshop. Other than the stacking he does very very little post processing. He feels it is imperative he present the arthropods as accurately as possible because many of his photos are used by the entomological community.

He buys Pentax because he can get lenses on the cheap. None of his lenses cost him more than $50 and he has DIY'd most of his extension tubes & flash setup. He doesn't talk gear, doesn't even talk photography; all he talks about are the arthropods.

His astrophotography skills are stellar as well (pardon the pun).
We're trying to sign him up to talk to our club here in OKC. Your description of him reminds me of someone from the Audubon Society who spoke to our club years ago. The guy was taking KILLER bird portraits, but he wasn't all that interested in the photography side of things. He was interested in making the best possible portraits of birds and had developed a system that let him do just that.
12-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
no..he isnt use K200D ... he use pentax *ist DS..

this has been my wallpaper since a year ..

12-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #42
Forum Member

now that's a serious rig!
12-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
no..he isnt use K200D ... he use pentax *ist DS..

this has been my wallpaper since a year ..
OOOOOOOLLLLLD pic
12-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
And get this - he doesn't use a tripod; I don't think he even owns one. All of those photos are handheld, most of them made with him belly in the dirt/weeds, like a Marine sniper, patiently waiting for the bug/s to calm down and forget there's a 50mm lens a couple centimeters from their compound eyeballs. He fires off a couple dozen or more shots varying the focus point and then stacks the exposures in photoshop.
For the record, almost all serious macro photogs do this he's just incredibly proficient at it
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's because of people who can shoot like this that you won't see my incredibly awful pictures in an online photo album........

Also, because I lack patience to get shots like that!