Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-X Flash malfunctioning - Any advice?

Hello all,

I recently had my K-X repaired after it had to get the battery compartment replaced. However since I have been using it again I have been noticing issues with the flash functions on the camera.

Essentially, what happens is when I switch the camera on the flash automatically pops up into its prime position (the only exception being when I switch the camera to "No Flash" mode on the mode dial) This was not happening before but also is not the end of the issue.

This means that the flash automatically activates when taking a picture unless I put the flash down and switch to a mode where the flash will not activate (that being either the no flash mode on the dial or going into the flash settings and having it set as manual).

The main issue from here is that whenever I go to view my pictures on the camera and attempt to delete them the "bin" button does not work, as in, it is completely unresponsive and when I am out of image viewing mode I cannot use the button to prime the flash either.

The only way this problem seems to resolve itself at the moment is if I switch the camera on and off a few times and it had occasionally worked when replacing SD cards. I am using Sanyo Eneloops batteries on a nice decent charge so they are not the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas of whether this is a poor repair job by the Pentax repair company or whether this is more related to a firmware fault? I have not tried to do a factory reset as of yet as I thought I would get a general consensus from more experienced Pentax users first.

Thanks for any help you can provide in helping me resolve this so I hopefully don't have to send it off all over again especially this time of year =.=

Mike

12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Over 200 views and no one has any insight into this issue? That's a bit depressing does anyone have any opinion on what cause of action to take with this?
12-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the flash button is always being pressed. Has the camera done this as soon as you got it back, or did it start a little after? Faulty repair, or have you dropped the camera, or hit the back with something? Do you notice any movement when you press the flash button? Does it feel like the button is stuck? You could try to get it unstuck. Send it back or try to fix it yourself, your call.
12-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reinstall the firmware update, or do it for the first time if you haven't.

It sounds like the camera is locked into some auto mode that you don't want it to be locked into. The flash should never pop up on its own in most modes, especially never in manual mode.

12-16-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses -

@Gp1806 - The flash started to malfunction shortly after I got it back I really began to notice it within the past 3 weeks at first I thought it was a battery issue but now it seems to occur much more often. I have only used it a couple of times since I have had it back but when it is not in use it is snugly packed in either my Lowerpro slingshot or my Crumpler bag. Both of which are highly padded so it wouldn't have sustained any damage in those circumstances.

The flash button feels just as tactile as it does when it is functioning normally but when the flash wants to automatically "prime" itself I cannot press the button and get the flash up in any scenario normally as soon as I press the shutter button lightly (to put the camera into focus) the flash will "prime" and flash a couple of times while focusing then will perform a full flash once I press the shutter button fully down.

@Ira - Would the firmware solve an issue like this? I was under the impression that from the repair invoice that they wouldn't have reset the firmware on the camera as they only replaced the battery chamber and gave it a test. I guess I will have to look into it and let you know.

Thanks for the help so far at least now I have a couple of ideas to play around with.