Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Snapped off USB port on k100d

I managed to pick up my k100d while it was still plugged into my computer today and snapped off its USB port. It's the metal part that you plug the cable into, it is now detached and loose inside the camera. From what I've found on google, a repair by pentax would require replacing the motherboard and likely cost far more than the camera is now worth.

I'm not keen on having this loose piece of metal floating around inside possibly shorting something or getting wedged in where it shouldn't be. I figure I can either glue it back in place from the outside with super-glue (using the smallest amounts possible), or try to remove it by either enlarging the hole or disassembling the camera. I'm open to any other suggestions!*

*Note-Buying a k-5 is a valid suggestion, but I'm probably still going to wait several months for the price to drop, I'd like the k100d as a backup in any case.

12-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Disassembling the camera sounds like a bad idea. Is there any chance you could get at it using a magnet? Glueing it into place sounds like the best option to me.
12-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reassembly is where my major fear and failure would lie.

I managed to get it nearly back in place using a pin and allot of patience. I think I'm going to go for the glue option.
12-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd glue it to keep it from shorting something out but I wouldn't use it anymore since I doubt the glue would be strong enough. I'd grab a card reader if you don't have one and use that for transfers from now on.

12-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it's completely loose? If you can see it to get glue on it, then probably not (which probably won't do anything anyway).

Either way, disassembly and reassembly probably isn't that difficult. Just keep everything organized, make notes or (if possible) photos of each step and reverse the procedure for reassembly. You may even be able to fix it.

Or, Just scrap the whole thing and by the K5 Now

12-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Definitely completely loose, it fell inside out of view and was rattling around. Much patience and tilting of the camera back and forth was required to get it back into view, rotate it back into the normal orientation, and then gently coax it back into position. It fell out of view several times in the process. I didn't get it exactly aligned, but it looks close, and it's now been glued hopefully it stays put.

I do have a card reader, but have always preferred transferring via the camera. No issues reading the card this way, saves wear and tear on the card itself, and I could just leave my card in the camera, ensuring that I never left home without the card. I'll manage with the card reader, and am happy at this point if everything else keeps working. So far so good
12-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

I did the same on my dad's k100 a couple of years ago, so you're not the only one to do this! Camera still had an accidental damage warranty, so I'm afraid I can't give you any homemade solutions to getting it fixed.
12-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Happened to mine ages ago.

I just got an external card reader. :P