Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focus Screen on K-x

Anybody know if the focus screen can be changed on the K-x? I realize it is not user changable. Do you know if a repair shop can make a change. I would love to have a Katz eye type screen. If it is possible, is there a repair shop in the Baltimore, DC area that can do the job? I have good manual focus lenses, but failing eys sight. I need the split prism type screen. any recommendations would be appreciated.

12-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

It is changeable, and user-changeable too. I put a Katzeye screen into my K-x. It was a little fiddly but if I can do it just about anyone can. I recommend the Katzeye but if I had my time over I'd go with one of the cheaper options probably. The Katzeye is good, but debatable if it was worth the extra dosh.
12-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-x that has a split prism focusing screen.
I bought the camera from a member of the forum who made the changeover.
He said it was quite a bit of effort to get it shimmed correctly.
The split prism focusing screen is awesome for manual focus lenses, I really like it.
12-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Could you please provide instructions for making the changeover to the split prism screen? Or give me contact information to a member who could do this for me?
Thanks again. This sounds like just what I need.

12-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I would worry about is inserting the shims if need be. I have never done this before and have heard that it can be a bit difficult to get them in correctly. But I have removed the stock screen and replaced it with the same in about 10min with no problems (most of those 10min was spent reading instructions).
12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Check out the katzeye installation instructions here: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install6.pdf. These should give you an idea of whether this is something you might to tackle yourself. The thing to keep in mind if you do is that the screens scratch easily and the smallest scratch, dust bit or smudge on them shows annoyingly clearly as they fill your view. [Edit: unfortunately Pentax doesn't have alternate screens available, but fortunately there is katzeye, focusingscreen.com and ebay sellers. A screen with diagonal split prism surrounded with a microprism ring is the best IMO.]

Last edited by jolepp; 12-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
12-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like a straight forward job. From what I have read so far the focusingscreen.com has the best combination of quality and price. Has anyone had any difficulty with metering or P-ttl with the split prism microprism screen on the K-x? I have seen some blogs that may indicate an issue.

Pentax Bob
12-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have lots of experience but from my untrained eye the exposure with and without flash appears correct on my prism screen equipped k-x.
The prism screen has been installed in the camera since I bought it so I can't compare how it exposed before the focus screen was changed.

12-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you have to shim your new focus screen, then the old one was needing it too! The important part of a focus screen is the one that lies against the pentaprism... So, no matter what focus screen you put in there, they all need the same amount of shims!