Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does Kr use same LCD screen as K5 and K7?

I assume the 3 inch LCD screens on these 3 cameras are identical but want confirmation. Shopping for screen protectors and not much listed for Kr.

12-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
I assume the 3 inch LCD screens on these 3 cameras are identical but want confirmation. Shopping for screen protectors and not much listed for Kr.
I don't have a K-7 or K-5, but I can tell you with confidence that the max. dimensions of the K-r rear screen glass are 66.9mm * 51.9mm, or approx 84.2mm diagonal over its slightly rounded corners.

And naturally the physical displayable area is smaller (74.5mm diagonal addressable to be precise).

I think one could reasonably assume that any generic 3 inch screen protector would suit (but please don't hold me to that; for example, not all cameras have 1.5:1 ratio/3:2 aspect displays; or some protectors might come with external surrounds fitted, possibly making them brand/model dedicated; or could be made of glass not plastic so not easy to recut to [re]size it, etc., it probably pays to 'read the fine print').

If you do find a good one worth buying, that isn't as soft as a baby's bum and goes scratchy in under 2 weeks or looks milky within 2 months, then please let me know.
(the type and brand that KxBlaze mentions below looks like it might be worth serious consideration. Thx for the clue)

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes a screen protector for a K7, K5 will fit a Kr and may I suggest GGS. I bought one for my Kx on eBay for less than $5 and it looks amazing. You can barely tell it's on there, it's real glass, has not turned foggy/hazy on me, easy to clean (the outside), the only down side is that you cannot remove and re-apply it like you can with others. Once you remove it you need to buy a new one.
12-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I believe I let myself get confused by shopping too much. So many 3 inch screen protectors for specific camera's that I was beginning to think that there were differences that required special cut protectors for individual models. I will proceed assuming one for the K7 will fit.

I will definitely let you know if I find one that performs on par with its marketing hype.

01-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just purchased and installed the Invisible Shield on my K-r. The Canon EOS 500D (Rebel T1i) version fits perfectly. I have the same thing on my iPhone and love it - great clarity, no glare, easy to remove marks or spots, impervious to scratching and not easily marked with fingerprints (pretty important on a touch screen phone!). They are easy to install and basically invisible once installed. They are reasonably priced from Amazon ($15) and have a lifetime warranty.
01-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
If you do find a good one worth buying, that isn't as soft as a baby's bum and goes scratchy in under 2 weeks or looks milky within 2 months, then please let me know.
(the type and brand that KxBlaze mentions below looks like it might be worth serious consideration. Thx for the clue)
Followup to self: I ended up getting a Flipbac instead LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS so far it works great as a full cover~protector and the double articulated mirror has use at times too.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-23-2011 at 05:37 AM.
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Followup to self: I ended up getting a Flipbac instead LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS so far it works great as a full cover~protector and the double articulated mirror has use at times too.

.R.
Ohh I like this, wonder if it will fit on a K20D...Says it does :-)

Last edited by Abstract; 01-23-2011 at 08:52 PM.
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Ohh I like this, wonder if it will fit on a K20D...Says it does :-)
Note that they only make 3 inch and 2.5 inch sizes. But when I received the 3" for the K-r I checked and it will fit OK on my K-x (2.7") so am going to order another 3" for it now.

K20D is 2.7" so the 3" size should best suit that too.

.R.