Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any recommendations for a dslr & lens repair center?

Apologies if this information is somewhere else - I've done some searches on here and have figured out the best place to send a film pentax, but haven't seen much on where to send out of warranty digital pentaxes.

My k20d died after taking pics during a torrential rain storm going through the Panama Canal. That's somewhat ironic that rain killed it, given how often I took it with me salt water kayaking in a pelican case. I've been looking at reviews all week, and think I'd be pretty happy with picking up the k-r & getting my k20d fixed as my weather resistant kayaking camera.

Since I'm out of warranty, I don't see much point in sending the camera back to Pentax or C.r.i.s. or whatever their repair center is called - seems like many people on here have had long wait times using them. Does anyone have any recommendations on a camera repair center to send my pentax off to?

I also had my 21mm limited lens literally fall apart in two pieces on me a few weeks back while hiking - the autofocus was acting up, so I switched to manual focus and then started to realize that there was a little play when I focused the lens - a few minutes later the front part of the lens popped out and fell on the ground. I've never quite had any thing like that happen - I do use my gear, but I don't abuse it.

12-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try keh.com. They have an instant online quote system, and you can see if your items are covered. I had an old K 28/3.5 lens repaired with them back in June.
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I got antsy (I want my camera working!) and went with Authorized Camera Repair in Pennsylvannia. He quoted $224 + $9 return shipping to replace the main board in my k20d (which is probably the problem) with a 1 year warranty on the repair and said he'd have to actually see the lens to give a quote. That seems not bad for fixing my k20d given the refurbs and used ones are selling for $500 - I at least know the history of how I've mistreated mine or not.
Authorized Camera Repair

Given the genericness of the name, I really couldn't find all that much on google when I was trying to search for reviews of them, but I did find 5-6 hits through various forums recommending the place and saying they'd had good results there.

So I'm hoping this turns out well.
12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Immunogirl

Try Erik Hendrickson. He's great! He specializes in film body repair but he did a great job on my k20D. I cannot recommend him higher. Check out my trials and tribulations here
Erik Hendrickson: Pentax27@aol.com or pentaxrepairs@aol.com

NaCl(knowledgeable, relatively inexpensive, quick, and helpful...what more could you ask?)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-16-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: fixed link
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - I'd run into Erik Hendrickson mentioned on here, but thought he mostly did film.