Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-x factory reset

Is there a way to reset the k-x to the state it came from the factory? The camera currently refuses to set shutter time and aperture with the control wheel in M-mode, display an exposure time or release the shutter in any mode. My theory is that the internal software has managed to get into some sort of invalid state. The reset (+ reset custom functions) available from menu didn't help, nor did removing the batteries for a while or reflashing the firmware.

Other self-help suggestions for getting the camera back to shape are welcome too. I can't think of anything more to try in short of sending the camera out for repair; I'd rather avoid that, especially as I suspect that a simple reset might work.

12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Besides the reset Custom Settings there is a Reset to Initial Settings under the Set-Up menu. I have never done this so I do not know exactly what it does but I do know that it's different from the reset custom settings so hopefully that will help you.
12-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To clarify: I have tried both the generic "Reset" (under the wrench tab) and Reset custom functions (under the C tab): didn't help :-(
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the lens securely on the camera? If the contacts aren't on correctly, or if they need to be cleaned, weird things like what you describe can happen. Try turning the camera off and switching to a different lens to see if it still occurs.

12-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should have mentioned that I've cleaned the contacts and tried a couple of lenses too. I guess I'll leave it without batteries overnight and see how it is doing in the morning :-)
12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

"USR DAT CLEAR" in the debug menu resets the same values as the two reset functions in the normal menu, but may also clear some more internal state. It does not, however, clear certain things like shutter actuation count and AF adjustment, which are stored in a separate EEPROM.
12-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried plugging it in to a computer with a usb cable and redoing the firmware update? Maybe that's what got it screwed up the firmware update went bad? You updated it a while back, right?
12-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That "USR DAT CLEAR" indeed did a more thorough job. Unfortunately it didn't help with the problem as I hoped. Also, I redid the firmware update after this began acting up. This happened without any particular provocation such as dropping or knocking it. Initially the camera was less confused and allowed setting the shutter time and taking pictures, it was that way for a while in the meantime too but has now relapsed back to not allowing setting either the shutter time or the aperture, nor releasing the shutter. Or actually, the shutter and aperture figures change on the VF, but not on the display.

I guess I'll be sending it in; an additional problem with that is that this is probably a grey import to the EU area (the paper user manual was a photocopy) so I'll need to deal with this UK outfit who sold it (for a good price, and as the 55-300 double kit that seemed to be hard to find locally).

Thanks everyone for the help :-)

P.S. It is not all bad, I got an excuse to spend my tax return towards a K-5 and took advantage of that yesterday :-)

12-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

That "USR DAT CLEAR" indeed did a more thorough job. Unfortunately it didn't help with the problem as I hoped. Also, I redid the firmware update after this began acting up. This happened without any particular provocation such as dropping or knocking it.

.. snip 8< ..
That doesn't make very pleasant reading at all. I note that you contributed to the "K-x Tethering" discussion topic and said there that you'd used the PK_Tether alphaware.

Do you consider there could be a causal relationship with your current issue arising from that experiment? I mean, could the s/w have sent a rogue instruction to the camera's firmware that it failed to error trap or parse cleanly, and thus corrupted the kernel or equivalent?

Fwiw: After reading your saga there, then this one here, I'm a bit reluctant to unleash the latest version of PK even though I lust for tethering capability.

Btw: Can you pls tell me how to activate the "USR DAT CLEAR" command on a stock standard K-x? (assuming this is just some undocumented trick)

Oh yeah, and better luck with the new K-5 for you, I hope.

.R.
12-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I doubt pk_tether is to blame, it is quite a while since I tried that. I suppose it would be possible, but in that case we'd probably have seen posts about that already. Also, when I tried pk_tether it was the PC end that crashed, the camera was doing fine.

The reset function is in the debug menu, which you can activate by following these instructions: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment. This seems to result in a more comprehensive reset as the camera asks for language and date after this (as it initially did).

My copy of the K-5 seems to have its share of the infamous sensor stains, so I suppose buying from a brick&mortar this time was a good choice (I hope :-)
12-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #11

FWIW, I have ported pkremote to OS X and am currently trying to make it work properly with my K100D (it only claims to support K10D/K20D plus some iffy-looking code for the DS, which I am hoping to leverage).

In the course of playing around with tethering commands, I have put the camera in various funky states, some of which are not cleared by moving the power switch to the OFF position, but everything returns to normal when the batteries are removed, so I doubt that PK_Tether has had anything to do with the original poster's problem.
12-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #12

BTW, if you are desperate, you could try to eliminate the remaining source of software-only weirdness by clearing the EEPROM.

My K100D has a 1 kilobyte EEPROM. I only know the function of two 32-bit values in it:

0x2df Autofocus adjustment
0x3f7 Shutter actuation count

I suspect the rest is hardware adaption stuff like calibrated sensor position and so on.

You can make a backup file of the EEPROM using "EEPROM STORE" in the debug menu.

You can then either load a modified copy with all zeroes using "EEPROM LOAD" or just erase them one by one using the "EEPROM READ/WRITE" function.

There is a risk that the camera may not even start up with a zeroed-out EEPROM, but I suspect that the values stored therein are only related to actual shooting, so if I had a camera with symptoms like those of the original poster's, I probably would try doing this as a last resort.

If it doesn't help, do make sure to restore the original KB???.EEP file onto the EEPROM before sending the camera in for repairs or selling it as defective.
12-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems that the k-x doesn't have an EEPROM or at least the debug menu does not have function for that. Instead it has CPU and DSP parameters that probably include the settings. Writing these out results in fairly large files (binary data, maybe a run-time data structure stored in RAM backed by flash?). Getting the files from a working k-x and writing those to the broken one might be worth a try.
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Currently the camera seems to work with M42 lenses (or without a lens but not much joy in that), shutter time can be adjusted and the shutter button works. M lenses (not to mention A and more modern ones) do not work, although the aperture reading on the display changes as one zooms with the kit lens, so the body would seem to be communicating with the lens. Strange :-)
12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #15

I doubt that overwriting the CPU and DSP flash with those from a clean camera would make a difference, since that is essentially identical to what the firmware upgrade image is and does.

Given the most recent symptons, I would remove the lens mount and clean/jiggle the lens connector block.