Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I also follow the un-scientific procedure: whenever I change the lens (remove and install), I switch to MF and press lens release button. These two little things on the lens mount are spring loaded, you would have to press the lens initially toward the mount to engage the locking mechanism. If these two things are retracted, it's easier to install the lens. A camera technician told me that it's not the dust from air which foul the sensor, it's tiny metal chips from the lens mount from grinding.
Sorry, I don't buy the advice from your tech. Metal chips are conductive and won't hold a charge like normal, common dust, so they are not attracted to the charged sensor.

05-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Press the lens release button when removing the lens, obviously, but I don't think it's a good idea to do it when attaching a lens. I never do that for the simple reason that on a couple of my Nikon bodies, if you press the lens release button down while attaching the lens, the lens can be turned just a little too far, becomes misaligned and the AF fails to work. If you hear the reliable "click," you know everything is in place.
05-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by midori Quote
If you hear the reliable "click," you know everything is in place.
Yeah, I like the reassurance of the lens release button clicking into place, but I tend to also do a slight twist of the lens in the opposite direction too (i.e. in the direction that you'd remove the lens) as a double check: if the lens doesn't move, it's all good, if it does move, then it's not locked into place.
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Yeah, I like the reassurance of the lens release button clicking into place, but I tend to also do a slight twist of the lens in the opposite direction too (i.e. in the direction that you'd remove the lens) as a double check: if the lens doesn't move, it's all good, if it does move, then it's not locked into place.
In fact, if you press the release button when attaching the lens you won't get the locking click until you twist in the opposite direction. At least that is what I found on my K-7 after reading the original post. I tried the described technique a couple of times and didn't get the usual reassuring click. It was a little un-nerving, so I'm back to the old way.

05-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I rarely change lenses, but today went to do so and noticed that the button had fallen off. Will be calling Pentax to talk about the warranty.....

DH is going to be pissed if he finds out, so hoping to keep it a secret and just get it fixed.
05-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
In fact, if you press the release button when attaching the lens you won't get the locking click until you twist in the opposite direction. At least that is what I found on my K-7 after reading the original post. I tried the described technique a couple of times and didn't get the usual reassuring click. It was a little un-nerving, so I'm back to the old way.
Pentax bayonet mounts have always been like this and i've changed lenses the same way for decades: press down the lock/release button, twist the lens clockwise all the way, release lock button, back out the lens a smidgeon, like a millimeter or so, counterclockwise until it clicks.

With the lock button kept down it's just one less bit of metal scraping against metal; isn't at all necessary but can't be bad.
05-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
Banned

This lens is about 30 yrs. old, been on and off camera thousands of times, I've never held the release button down when installing and I see no signs of wear.
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by billtin59 Quote
This lens is about 30 yrs. old, been on and off camera thousands of times, I've never held the release button down when installing and I see no signs of wear.
thank you thank you thank you
one less thing to worry 'bout

now back to taking pictures

05-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #24

o! Macro shots!

i'll add a couple that show wear and tear. Most of the apparent traces will clean up but some is actual wear of the mounts. i apply very very tiny amounts of molybdenum disulfide lube suspended in oil on the mount, ground it into the metal by mounting an old lens on it a few times, then remove remaining oil. Photo shot before cleaning it up.

i've probably changed lenses way less than a thousand times on the K-7 mount and you can see there's still visible wear from that. The shot of the lens is of a beat up, used PK-A mount lens i got off of ebay. i've mounted it mebbe 10 times, dunno what kind of use it saw before me.

So the mounts do wear. The infinitesimal amounts of metal debris do have to go somewhere. i try to be careful, mount lenses at a sedate pace and clean the things periodically. --photos shot with my trusty Canon A650IS.

lens mount:

camera mount:

Last edited by conradj; 05-22-2011 at 04:05 AM.
05-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #25
Banned

Hmmm, NONE of my gear shows that kind of wear, perhaps it's caused by very very tiny amounts of molybdenum disulfide lube suspended in oil ??
05-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by billtin59 Quote
Hmmm, NONE of my gear shows that kind of wear, perhaps it's caused by very very tiny amounts of molybdenum disulfide lube suspended in oil ??
It's all how it's photographed. i can see the telltale release pin wear marks on the mount you showed, from abt 3 o'clock down. Look at the mount on your camera, not straight on but sideways and light it up sideways as well with a point source light rather than a diffuse one.

The circular lines will show where the outside ridge of the lens mount contacts the camera mount. Haven't ever seen well used gear that doesn't show wear there.

It's normal wearing in, should pretty much stop once the surface finish of the new part is smoothed down. Dunno enough abt it to know if it's enough to be a contributing factor for why i needed to redo the microfocus adjustments on the K-7, from new.

Like jamarley says, back to taking pictures!

Or in my case some more lens testing. Just got an old FA28-105, the Tamron rebadge. Long end seems a little soft, going to figure it out. Wide end is quite nice. Overall softer than a good prime lens away from the center of the frame, but better than the kit lens.
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #27

Just checking the forums to see what I can do about my lens release button which fell off sometime between last night and tonight's big lacrosse playoff game. Pushed a pin into the hole to switch lenses but that's not such a good idea for the long term, methinks. Bought my K-5 used on ebay and all else works great. Any suggestions on self-repair by buying a replacement button or am I looking at shipping it out for a professional fix? Any help would be appreciated.