Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Installing lenses - hold release button?

On the K5 review page it says:

"Important note: make sure you push in the lens release button near the mount while putting the lens on. If you don't do this, both the mount and the lens will be subjected to unnecessary wear."

I've never done this. Is this true? I though you just rammed it on there and turned until you hear the click. If you hold the button it doesn't even click until you let go...

12-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

Seriously? I've never heard of that either..
12-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
"Important note: make sure you push in the lens release button near the mount while putting the lens on. If you don't do this, both the mount and the lens will be subjected to unnecessary wear."
That's absolutely correct. Based on my unscientific calculation, for every 10,000 lens changes, the mount of the lens and the latch each loses about 0.0001cm of metal.
12-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a perfect example of the maximum:

When all else fails, read the manual...

12-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
This is a perfect example of the maximum:

When all else fails, read the manual...
Good idea. It doesn't say to push the button in my k200d manual, so I guess this is just a downside of owning the k5.
12-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Blasphemy! I'm not getting the K-5 anymore.
12-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I shoot all primes, so I change lenses a lot, but 10,000 changes?
I would image that every other part of my camera, plus myself would wear out before I can change lenses half that many times.

12-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
That's absolutely correct. Based on my unscientific calculation, for every 10,000 lens changes, the mount of the lens and the latch each loses about 0.0001cm of metal.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I shoot all primes, so I change lenses a lot, but 10,000 changes?
I would image that every other part of my camera, plus myself would wear out before I can change lenses half that many times.
He did say it was an unscientific calculation....
12-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's pretty funny. Never done it with any camera ever, and never had a problem, ever.
12-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The funny thing is that in every operating manual that comes with DA lenses (and presumably others) says:

MEMO: Do not hold down the lens unlock button while mounting the lens, otherwise the lens will not be mounted properly.
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Being from the manual lens camp I've made this a habit, cause Murphy's law is always in effect and I have had my share of good abrasion of the locking pin.

Sometimes though I snap on the modern AF lenses without holding the button just to hear the clicking sound. What a rush.
12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another K-5 legend is born

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
On the K5 review page it says:

I've never done this. Is this true? I though you just rammed it on there and turned until you hear the click. If you hold the button it doesn't even click until you let go...
Psst... (it has a fragile mount)

See pages 59-60 if the K-5 manual... no mention of this technique, either.

Cheers... M
05-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #13

After 1 week and second outing with Pentax k-5 the lense release button fell off!
Tried to put back on but does not stay on. - Returning to Amazon.com
05-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've always done this.
I think it came from the day when I lens locked on me mid-way as the pin fell into a small cavity on the lens.
Anyways, as a result, I've resorted to holding the release down until the lens was completely off.
05-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I also follow the un-scientific procedure: whenever I change the lens (remove and install), I switch to MF and press lens release button. These two little things on the lens mount are spring loaded, you would have to press the lens initially toward the mount to engage the locking mechanism. If these two things are retracted, it's easier to install the lens. A camera technician told me that it's not the dust from air which foul the sensor, it's tiny metal chips from the lens mount from grinding.