Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20d Auto Focus Button - Dumb question of the day

When focusing with my K20d, I typically us the AF button on the back of the camera in lieu of pressing the shutter button half way down. When I use the shutter button to focus, I get the shake reduction hand symbol in my view finder, when I use the AF button I do not. My SR switch is set to on, so I'm assuming that even without getting the symbol in my view finder, I'm still getting the benefit of the SR. (I have not had any image focus issues with either focus method, photos appear to be equally sharp).

I have not been able to find any documentation either confirming or denying the use of SR for either focusing method. Was hoping someone could clue me in.

Thanks.

DAVE

12-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
G'day Dave, when using the AF button you still need to half press the shutter to activate light metering and SR before full press for shutter. I always hold mine at half press first so i don't have to wait for the green hand. Cheers, Dre.
12-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yep, need to depress shutter button for SR.
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that my images shot with SR vs images shot without SR don't show and significance difference in sharpness. Either I'm really good a holding that camera still or it doesn't work and it's just a cruel marketing ploy.

I guess I'll have to shoot both ways and pay closer attention to the results I'm getting.

12-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,
I'm very practiced and steady, but I can see a one or two-stop difference with SR on. It definitely works.
I also use MF most of the time, so have the annoying beep and other aspects of AF turned off and use the AF button when I want the feature. I do believe that AF is a little faster and a lot more accurate with the button. Doesn't make sense. Don't know why. But I'm convinced of it.
Like someone else noted, you still must press the shutter release to activate SR, and if you are not seeing a difference, it may be that you are taking the shot before it can activate. When I do use AF, I never fully trust it and take enough time to be sure the focal point is where I want it before fully depressing the shutter. That's enough time for SR activation. You also can half-press the shutter before or at the same time you press the AF button.
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting. Okay, here is the other half of my dumb question, which I've probably already answered myself. Since I have to use the "button" to get the SR feature, if I'm using a cable release, is the SR activated if I leave the SR switch in the on position? I'm guessing not because I don't see the symbol in my view finder. In which case, why have a SR on off switch at all, could just be a menu item if someone wanted to turn it on or off.
04-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you want the on/off in a menu, get a K5 or K7

If you use a 'decent' cable release, it supports the half press function. Using the 'simpler' version does the same as straight pushing the shutter button down without half-press.

04-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
if I'm using a cable release, is the SR activated if I leave the SR switch in the on position?
Any of the "timer" functions disables SR. It thinks you will on a tripod, where it is also recommended to have it off.
04-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A great feature on later Pentax camers--one I think the others don't have--is that any time you use a delay, remote or cable, it automatically disables SR and enables the mirror-up feature.
This is so sensible, because any time I have enough time my mount my camera on a tripod, the 2 sec. delay and mirror up insure the maximum detail and sharpness.
This way, I never have to turn SR off (and forget to turn it back on). Modern cameras are so smart.
04-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That sounds like a great feature. I often have to remind myself to turn off the SR, or more often than not, to turn it on again after I've turned it off. I'm still loving my K20D, so I'm sure I'll be using it for many moons to come but will have to keep an eye on the new cameras too.