Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wheel Problem

So I think my k100d might on it's way out unless somebody can help me fix this issue. My thumb wheel scroll thing is acting up. 95% of the time, when I scroll it one way, it either 1) changes in the opposite direction or 2) changes in the right direction but jumps ahead.

For instance, I want to change the aperature from 2.8 up to the next amount (I don't even know what that is..3.6?) but instead it goes to f11 or f18 or something. So I try to scroll backwards to bring it down and it keeps going up! Sometimes if I press the wheel in harder or just keep moving it I can get it where I want it but it's almost unusable in anything other than program mode.

Anyone have an idea? I'm thinking I should take it apart and try to fix it or sell it as is.. (any buyers :P)

12-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try getting some electrical contact cleaner and spraying it in the wheel area. To be on the safe side, remove the battery first, then after spraying, spin the wheel. The spray will dry/evaporate quickly and won't leave any residue. Might need to repeat.

Good luck.
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Same thing happened on my DS after a couple years. Same advice, try using liberal amounts of contact cleaner while spinning the dial. Use appropriate gloves, solvents do a good job of stripping oil from your skin too.

It only worked temporarily for me though. Good luck!
12-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

Same thing is happening to my DS right now, will be calling Pentax repair this am, but maybe I'll try contact cleaner first.

The camera has had a new board put in last year and it looks brand new with only 200+shutter clicks ... maybe cleaning and contacts are the only issue .

wll

QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
So I think my k100d might on it's way out unless somebody can help me fix this issue. My thumb wheel scroll thing is acting up. 95% of the time, when I scroll it one way, it either 1) changes in the opposite direction or 2) changes in the right direction but jumps ahead.

For instance, I want to change the aperature from 2.8 up to the next amount (I don't even know what that is..3.6?) but instead it goes to f11 or f18 or something. So I try to scroll backwards to bring it down and it keeps going up! Sometimes if I press the wheel in harder or just keep moving it I can get it where I want it but it's almost unusable in anything other than program mode.

Anyone have an idea? I'm thinking I should take it apart and try to fix it or sell it as is.. (any buyers :P)

12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Same thing is happening to my DS right now, will be calling Pentax repair this am, but maybe I'll try contact cleaner first.

The camera has had a new board put in last year and it looks brand new with only 200+shutter clicks ... maybe cleaning and contacts are the only issue .

wll

Just tried my DS again, and it works for a second than I get faulty readings.

I'm heading over to radio shack to get come contact cleaner and report back :-)

I feel like I'm on a secret mission :- 0

wll
12-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

Went to Radio Shack and bought "Precision Electric Cleaner" spray.

Took batteries out and SD out, shot one shot and quickly had to wide off some that got on outside 9very,very small shot), and ........

It worked for about 2 hrs, than went back to its old ways ;-(

I just gave it another shot, it works now, but will check in the am to see if she starts to come around.

wll
12-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just in case you didn't know, the cleaner should be applied on the lower side of the wheel. Also, contact cleaner does nothing more than flush out the dirt & grease. If the contacts were poor, you will need something like DeoxIT to improve conductivity, but that will require extensive disassembling.
12-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just in case you didn't know, the cleaner should be applied on the lower side of the wheel. Also, contact cleaner does nothing more than flush out the dirt & grease. If the contacts were poor, you will need something like DeoxIT to improve conductivity, but that will require extensive disassembling.
Thank you, I will take note !

wll

12-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You can improve conductivity whit a liquid, but when applied, put the device (camera) flat on a paper towel, in this case with the wheel down, to let the excess of liquid drip out, then spin the wheel. One would not like to 'improve conductivity' on other parts in the camera...
There is a Belgian made liquid 'KONTAKT 60' (by CRC Industries Europe N.V. at B-9240 Zele) thad does both at once, better not to apply liquids twice.
And always allow to dry before reactivating!

P.S. I wonder if it would work on a Weather Sealed camera...
12-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good stuff guys. Keep me posted on if the cleaner helps the issue. Anyone know how easy it is to disassemble the k100 to get to the actual wheel component to check it out?
12-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any updates?
12-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

Yep, DS now OK :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
Any updates?

Took the advice of you guys and sprayed electronic cleaner under the bottom side of the wheel, let dry. Did this again, then when fully dry sprayed canned air to blow out anything that might have caused contact trouble.

As of now the camera works perfectly, and it was awful before.

Thank you "Team Pentax" for your help.

wll
12-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good news!! Glad it worked for you!!
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

I own the k5 and the thumbwheel on the back of the camera is acting up. When I review pictures and change the zoom, the zoom ratio will skip and jump ahead to 32x. turning it the other way brings it down incrementally at first, then it will go to 32x again. The camera is 6 months old. I would have thought that Pentax would use an optical switch on such a high use
switch, but I guess not.