Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need some advice, refund or exchange?

As a follow-up to my earlier post "is it the lens or the camera" about soft focus...
Brian
EDIT:
Thanks for the feedback, but I'd like to reframe the question since I can get a refund on Monday, but I'd like to keep the K20 if I can ensure it's up to spec mechanically. So, is there anything mechanical that could have been thrown out of whack that wouldn't be seen from the outside condition, some mechanical bit with the mirror/sensor/IS etc that might be out of alignment? And is there any way to evaluate this short of taking it in for repair and missing the opportunity for the refund?

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 12-18-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: change question
12-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I am sorry to hear of your trouble. I think that you have grounds to be fully-refinded, but am not familiar enough with local laws to recommend (or not) it.

The K-x with 18-55mm lens at $399 is a good price. Since the K-x is a nice camera, I would jump on the opportunity, especially if the store would throw an extended warranty (3 years?) to compensate you for your trouble. Alternately, as for a Sandisk Extreme III SD card, some rechargeable batteries and charger, and/or a carry bag.

We forget too often that we need a number of accessories that are essentials.

Food for thoughts and I hope that you will find a good solution.
12-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hcc, thanks for the comments, but I made a typo (corrected) because the K20 refund amount would be $399 and the new Kx kit would be $599. It really comes down to whether the $200 would be better spent on a lens and hope that CRIS can repair the K20 or taking the refund and getting the Kx online,
Brian
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
hcc, thanks for the comments, but I made a typo (corrected) because the K20 refund amount would be $399 and the new Kx kit would be $599. It really comes down to whether the $200 would be better spent on a lens and hope that CRIS can repair the K20 or taking the refund and getting the Kx online,
Brian
Amazon has an used K-x for $439 (Amazon.com: K-x Camera, Photo & Video). Today, Adorama has the K-x (body only) for $479 (16701 Pentax K-x 12.4 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with Shake Reduction, HD Movie Capture - Black) and the K-x + batteries + card + bundle for $521 (http://www.adorama.com/IPXKXBA.html) . Clearly your local shop is unaware of the marketplace.

I feel that the K-x at $599 is not a particularly attractive deal, especially in view of your trouble.

Try to get a refund and contact your local consumer association for some legal advice.

12-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Take the full refund and move on. They are messing with you. I would not be a legal dick about it if they give all your money back.