Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Benjikan.

Would like to speak to a tech rep. So far I am told I cannot use my lighting equipment with the pc sync socket as I intended when I purchased this camera.

Would like to speak to a Pentax technical rep who can state that a single Bowens Super Bo-Light can be connected via the pc sync socket and the voltage will not damage the camera.
Or even better - the amount of voltage the pc sync socket will be safe using...since I will use other lighting systems eventually. Do you have a contact?

So far I get an answer that I have to purchase additional equipment to protect the camera. The Wein equipment could fail since it just hangs off the pc socket and will get knocked about- I need and thought I had bought a reliable camera body. Adding another piece of equipment is another thing which can fail. This is costly to have to buy two of these syncs. Can't be shooting and have one Wein fail and not have another for back up.

Do you know of a Pentax representative who will assure me my camera body will not fail using studio monolights or as you say any professional equipment?

Appreciate your response. Pentax needs to tell me this, they do not recommend what you stated - they will not provide the safe voltage and will not respond to my second email.

12-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks Cayman.

Won't work for my system, appreciate the suggestion. Glad it works for you - getting many misfires?

Even if this would work with the system I have - I would not have the hotshoe available - I bought the K20D with a pc sync socket to use the pc sync socket. Want the hot shoe available.
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a thread stating that Pentax reps said that it will take up to 380 volts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/87679-fla...al-answer.html

Dave
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #19

Never had a misfire. Unless the strobes were still charging.

12-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hi Dave -

Yes, I read the thread before I posted here.

Cannot be what reps have said - if they do not respond to email or phone inquiry's. Its just a person saying this is so to my mind. Not going to chance this is correct. Many will be satisfied with such a post and take a chance on their investment.

I want the facts directly from Pentax and it looks like many others on threads here do as well, doesn't it.

Thanks though!
12-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #21

Original Poster
Hi Cayman,

Good to know about no misfires - sure will help someone considering this type of unit.
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I know what you mean. I personally limit the trigger voltage to 10 volts on digital equipment. I measure it myself, while firing the strobe.

Dave
12-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #23

Original Poster
Yep.
Then I read that testing by ones self is not accurate, still leaves Pentax to answer.
Whose is making the big bucks here? Pentax has meters. Maybe not ....

12-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

withdrawn

Last edited by woof; 12-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #25

Original Poster
If you read my original and following posts you will see Wein was recommended to me by Pentax - but the follow up emails from me were not answered.

This is not even the problem - I am not here to solve a lighting issue with Wein products.

This is a continuous purchase for evey lighting system I will use from here on out and will run into hundreds of dollars.

Pentax has not responded to me with the safe voltage for the pc sync socket - this is the issue here.

Pentax will surely not guarantee Wein will work or will keep my K20D safe.

This camera was purchased in its original state - without modifying products - to use the pc sync for studio strobes.

Pentax needs to reveal the secret of the max voltage that is in the safe range.

Please do not take someones word on this board that they have and know the range because they said they made a phone call.
That's a real bad call to rely on this third party info for your expense camera.

For me - I want this info from the manufacturer - I would never rely on third party info when it can put this K20D at risk.

Hoped that no one here would be so inclined.

This problem remains unresolved for many users who purchased this body to use the pc sync socket.
12-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldlens Quote
Pentax has not responded to me with the safe voltage for the pc sync socket - this is the issue here.

Pentax will surely not guarantee Wein will work or will keep my K20D safe.

This problem remains unresolved for many users who purchased this body to use the pc sync socket.
Sorry. You have my warmest wishes for a speedy resolution to your issue(s).

Respectfully,

woof!

Last edited by woof; 12-28-2010 at 06:21 PM.
12-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #27

Original Poster
I will fill you all in when/if Pentax resolves their issue (s) with non communication regarding the voltage with the studio strobes I use. Perhaps a phone number a pro user can call to inquire if their specific system is safe is in order.
Many thanks.
12-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #28

I bought the Wein Safe Sync for my K10d, and it works fine either as a hot shoe or PC socket--or both at the same time.

Then I got the K20d; the Pentax USA video introducing it (still available on YouTube) said the PC socket had special circuitry so that it was safe to use with studio strobes (it's a brief mention within the last minute of the video).

Then I read the manual, which warned against high trigger voltages on the PC socket. Quandary: risk it, or not?

I was on a photo shoot where some equipment failed and the only way to proceed was to risk it with an old Vivitar 283. No problems! I've since used it with a Vivitar 285 (not the HV model), and still no problems.

I hope your experience is as positive as mine.
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

There was a big long thread on Pentax Forums a year ago, or more, about older strobe voltage. third party stuff again, but someone got a head nod on using 12 volts maximum from the strobe. I had since tested 3 older Pentax strobes and one had up to 7 volts i believe, my modern Metz 48 was down around 4 volts. Anyway, 12 volts is my standard on my K20 and never had a problem.

I appreciate olden's reluctance to use 3rd party information. What should happen is Pentax needs a FAQ column on their website for some of this information, IMO.

best wishes,
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can symphathise with the bad feelings about Pentax reps not coming back to an exchange of emails. That is wholly unprofessional.

Unfortunately though, I guess, they won't give you exacting numbers anyway - no camera manufacturer will. Studio strobes are third party equipment and no camera manufacturer will give you hard numbers guaranteed to be safe for those third party products.

And it is very understandeable for me, that they will even be less inclined to utter a single word about your specific Bowens modell. That should be Bowen's part.

To my knowledge the pc-socket is independent of the hot shoe and works (as in the good old days) with a mechanical switch. So, there shouldn't be any problem with any modern strobe. I have been using the K10 and K20 with my Interfit flashes, brand new modells or 25 years old ones, without any problems or cause for discomfort.

And you don't need a Wein safesync to be on the sure side, just use a wireless flash trigger, which will give you added benefits on top (no more tripping over sync cables...) This is the professional solution and will free your mind.

Ben