Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x shutter actuation button sticking

I have a K-x, less than 4K actuations, out of warranty by a month.....problem i'm having is the shutter actuation button is "sticking" all the way down occasionally. Does this sporadically...half press to focus/compose, fully depress to take the pic, then it... stays there. Seems to lack that "tension" the shutter actuation buttion should have A little jiggling or a firm press will "release" it, but its quite bothersome and growing progressively more frequent. And when its "stucK down, you can do nothing, camera is 'dead' til you "unstick" it. Note- it is indeed a mechanical issue as you can see the shutter button stuck down in the depresed position til you tap/jiggle it to release it

Nothing ever spilt, camera has been treated well, no exposure to moisture, elements, etc etc. (as I know, my first question would be 'did ya spill something on it or is something stuck in there?')

Short of sending it in to Pentax for a fix, any suggestions? And, if Pentax-bound, would this be a costly repair? New to the model and Pentax in general, looking for some common sense input.

thnx in advance

Last edited by rrwilliams64; 12-18-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: more info
12-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear your problem.

You may wish to check also the following threads in this forums:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/95814-k-x-sticky-s...ghlight=sticky

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/108231-sticky-...ghlight=sticky

There might be some good suggestions and hints. A user (Wildlifephotog) suggested:
"The spring that is under the silver button is not very strong. Just the normal oils and grime that get on your fingers is transfered down along the sides of the button.
I've had to clean both my DS and K200D. I use contact cleaner sprayed on a q-tip to let it run down the sides of the button. I then work the button for a minute or so. This usually gets it clean so it doesn't want to stick at half press."

Hope that you can solve your problem....
12-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
...I've had to clean both my DS and K200D. I use contact cleaner sprayed on a q-tip to let it run down the sides of the button. I then work the button for a minute or so. This usually gets it clean so it doesn't want to stick at half press."
not to be overly specific, but allow enough liquid contact cleaner to actually run down 'round the sides of the button? Danger of too much? Perhaps an ambiguous qstn, and i realize the need to lubricate the spring/free up any dust and/or obstruction, but what.....a few drops? . i was thinking of spraying the contact cleaner into a dropper bottle and letting a single drop down around the base of the button. I realize no right or wrong here (or perhaps there is!!!!)...just wanna proceed cautiously.

Last edited by rrwilliams64; 12-20-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar
12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
did the trick... few very light drops....worked arond the base of the buttom.....clilcked repeatedly, still stuck now and again, but improving
Next day....bingo.

Thnx for the great tip HCC

Last edited by rrwilliams64; 12-23-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: error