Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The camera does *not* know the aperture you've set if the ring is not on "A". That's why you have to use manual mode and stop-down metering with the green button.
I wish it had an option to trust that you've set the camera and lens to match.

11-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Forum Member

Triggering optical slave with onboard flash

I was involved in a similar thread some months ago. Without trying to decipher all the various types of flash units, etc. discussed here - my simple solution was to buy a Wein Safe-Synch Hot Shoe unit (their WESSHSH) and avoid/ignore the built in camera's flash. I located a used, very unsophisticated hot shoe flash, mounted it on the Wein device and this prevented the unwanted "pre-flash" from entering the issue (something Pentax failed to provide for in their firmware). The old hot shoe flash now acts as a very effective trigger for as many optical slave units you might want to fire, from one to many.

Incidentally, that specific Wein device allows using any old hot shoe flash to be mounted, and protects the camera from damage by isolating it from whatever high voltage the old flash might subject it to.

The B & H salesman helped me choose the Wein device.

Olin
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
The old hot shoe flash now acts as a very effective trigger for as many optical slave units you might want to fire, from one to many.
Indeed! Similar setup below...
Attached Images

12-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Indeed! Similar setup below...

Just as a matter of curiosity - how do you avoid damage from the Vivitar flash sitting on the hot shoe? The older flash I bought for "peanuts" has about 45 volts at its base, which can severely damage my K10D. So, that''s why I bought the Wein device to isolate that voltage and protect the camera.

Perhaps I'm misjudging the voltage presented by the Vivitar, is that the answer?

Olin

12-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
how do you avoid damage from the Vivitar flash sitting on the hot shoe?
I tested this flash first, and it puts out about 5.6 v. I bought it new a few years ago for my 35mm MZ-M, but at the time DSLRs were gaining popularity (although I suspect film SLRs were still the major sellers), so perhaps Vivitar was thinking ahead.

I was on the verge of getting a Wein. Saved some bucks there!