Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
used K-7 or new K-r

like the title upside... which you one of you guys want to buy...
the technical comparison can i see in this forum (body review section) i am not talking about second or first body ..... just for sharing.... because the price is now little bit "comparative" to buy....

K-7 :
pros : - weather Resistant
- superberb in low iso
- top LCD and magnesium Body

cons : - weak in high iso ( but i see the thread"high iso on K-7) is realy great
example... now im confused..
- slow AF compare to K-r
-

K-R "
pros : - Fast AF ( have the same sensor with K-5)
- high ISO performance is magnificent
- low light is not an issue

cons : - not a weather resistant ( plastic body )
- no top LCD and one dial button is annoying sometimes
-

just need a experiment form you guys , who had been use this and try to make a conclusion, i shoot usually with *ist Ds and sigma 28-70 and also use a lot of manual Lens ..

thanks for shared

12-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
like the title upside... which you one of you guys want to buy...
the technical comparison can i see in this forum (body review section) i am not talking about second or first body ..... just for sharing.... because the price is now little bit "comparative" to buy....

K-7 :
pros : - weather Resistant
- superberb in low iso
- top LCD and magnesium Body

cons : - weak in high iso ( but i see the thread"high iso on K-7) is realy great
example... now im confused..
- slow AF compare to K-r
-

K-R "
- high ISO performance is magnificent
- low light is not an issue

cons : - not a weather resistant ( plastic body )
- no top LCD and one dial button is annoying sometimes
-

just need a experiment form you guys , who had been use this and try to make a conclusion, i shoot usually with *ist Ds and sigma 28-70 and also use a lot of manual Lens ..

thanks for shared
If you shoot with manual lenses, you will appreciate the bright penta prism of the K7. The KR has a much dimmer, smaller penta mirror. Your 1st Ds has a bright finder also. This single feature makes the K7 easier to use in low light. Fast auto focus in't much good with manual lenses.

Dave
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm in the same boat, but the one advantage of the K7 is that it has an available vertical grip. I do a lot of portrait photography and it's really something that I would want.
12-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am also in the same boat haha

Pro of the k7: electronic level.

12-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #5

That same boat too. But in video context. I know dslr won't do vid like vid cam does whatever.

I've been taking my K10 and my 35mm adapter'd hd cam (vibrating gg on a homemade pentax mount, btw) around and the two's a lot to carry. So, looking for the better compromise....K7 or k-r....to serve as double duty from the same price range.

Thanks!
12-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

Personally I'd go for the K-7 - at the moment I have a K-x and I told myself the next DSLR I get will be one that has a water housing available. A grip would be nice too in a lot of situations.
12-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is rather easy. If you can stand the worse viewfinder of K-r, then it is no-brainer - K-r. Otherwise it will have to be K-7. Keep in mind that camera today is pretty much disposable item. In 2 years since now it will be old and in 3 years since now it will be ancient. In 5 years you will be effectively forced to upgrade.

If like you say you use manual glass, then K-7 with viewfinder magnifying eyecap and a split screen focusing screen (prepare to do some shimming) may be the best course of action.

One point though, in low ISO K-7 is not superb. It is ok, but no more than that. Oh yes, I have it, so I happen to know what I am talking about.

12-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I think it is rather easy. If you can stand the worse viewfinder of K-r, then it is no-brainer - K-r. Otherwise it will have to be K-7. Keep in mind that camera today is pretty much disposable item. In 2 years since now it will be old and in 3 years since now it will be ancient. In 5 years you will be effectively forced to upgrade.

If like you say you use manual glass, then K-7 with viewfinder magnifying eyecap and a split screen focusing screen (prepare to do some shimming) may be the best course of action.

One point though, in low ISO K-7 is not superb. It is ok, but no more than that. Oh yes, I have it, so I happen to know what I am talking about.
Body's get replaced, not disposed. You see the number of people here still using
k10/k20 and some of them make nicer pictures than people with k-7/k-5

If you need the higher iso capability go for the kr. If not k7 is the way to go.
And yes I own it to, first dslr and I'm very happy with it. Offcourse it's not perfect but what is?
12-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
owh ..so here lot of choice goes to K-7 ... great

but actually what happen to the speed AF from k-7... is it true ?? that they get worst in low light ?
cause to make it fast i have compensated with fast prime limited ??

i think i can't afford that either ....

Last edited by ewig; 12-21-2010 at 05:15 AM.
12-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
Inactive Account

If i have an older model than that of your choices and i expecting to shoot more in low-lighting condition then its obviously one choice. Pentax K-7 is very good but being able to have your images ready without the need of any computer processing is a plus unless you take lower ambients environment with flash(knew manual flash) then you know which one is more capable. In the end the best choice is the one that suits you more.
...buaobao
12-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #11

K-R "
I thought that they had different image sensors. Doesn't the K-x and K-r share the same sensor????
12-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

owh ..so here lot of choice goes to K-7 ... great

but actually what happen to the speed AF from k-7... is it true ?? that they get worst in low light ?
cause to make it fast i have compensated with fast prime limited ??

i think i can't afford that either ....
All cameras have worse AF in low light. It's a matter of how much worse it is. The K-7 AF is at least twice as fast as the *ist DS, even without the focus assist light. I think the assist light equalizes the K-7 and K-r. Maybe there's still a difference but it's small enough to ignore.

The K-7 has a lot of little features that add up. You can't really say "OK, the level is worth $10, pentaprism $50..." Most of the time, you aren't going to use the extra features. But having them all is great. Just last night, I was using a wired remote to take eclipse photos, thinking how annoying it would be without a wired remote.
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
I thought that they had different image sensors. Doesn't the K-x and K-r share the same sensor????
indeed...
12-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
All cameras have worse AF in low light. It's a matter of how much worse it is. The K-7 AF is at least twice as fast as the *ist DS, even without the focus assist light. I think the assist light equalizes the K-7 and K-r. Maybe there's still a difference but it's small enough to ignore.

The K-7 has a lot of little features that add up. You can't really say "OK, the level is worth $10, pentaprism $50..." Most of the time, you aren't going to use the extra features. But having them all is great. Just last night, I was using a wired remote to take eclipse photos, thinking how annoying it would be without a wired remote.
actually i kind of goes to pentax K-7 but sometimes the way K-r treat high ISO very very well ...tempted me to grab it ... something that just less on k-7... perhaps you can dazzle K-7 more ... i don't know... still confuse right know ..
12-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

In your original post, you sum up well the pros and cons of the K-7 and K-r. The K-7 is WR, has an excellent viewfinder, excellent body and grip, semi-pro functions. The K-r has excellent high-ISO performances.

I feel however that the discussion and your toughts might be biased by High ISO versus low light performances. Unless you want to shoot especially at high ISO (eg for grainy appearance of the photo), most users are interested in low light performances.

I have had the K-7 for one year and there are several ways to have excellent low-light performances with the K-7. These include:

- with some in-camera PP, it is possible to get very nice shots either with in-camera PP (see K-7 High ISO Success!)

- with some dedicated noise reduction software like Noiseware and NoiseNinja;

- with some fast prime lens.

I have used all the above techniques successfully, although I prefer the latter in the darkest conditions. The first two techniques are very easy to use and implement. However, in dark conditions, my preference is a large aperture (f1.4) prime lens with MF. I got my best results with my Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 MF.

Again note I do not talk of high ISO, but real low-light conditions. You should do the same

Let me add, lastly, one more bit of advice: go to your local store to try yourself the K-r and K-7. Your hand feel is most important. Some people with large hands do not like the K-r (too small). Ultimately, it's you who will use the camera and you do not want to be disappointed.

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 12-22-2010 at 06:23 PM.