Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K7 prices coming down?

I'd like to get the K7, but with the 18-55 it is running $50-$75 more than the Nikon D90 with the very good 18-105VR lens. Don't flame me, I'm not asking for an attack on the D90 or a defense of the K7, but by all reviews and comments the D90 is at least the equal of the K7 and this is a better IQ lens with almost twice the reach. Can we reasonably expect the K7 to come down in price after Christmas enough to move up to the next level lens and compete with the Nikon kit price point?
Brian

12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not sure about pricing but the K7 is built way better than the d90. Both are excellent cameras with great IQ but given that the K7 is magnesium and WR this should be worth $50-$100
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you plan on buying more lenses at some point? If so, you're better off with the Pentax. Also as previously stated, the WR adds value to the K7. Last summer I was at the beach with a friend who has a D90. While taking pictures of his kids messing around in the water, he had to pull back to a safe distance... but not me. During the last Iron Man here in Penticton when it started to rain, I kept right on taking pictures without any fear while many Canikons packed up and ran for cover... So having a completely sealed WR body makes a difference.
12-23-2010, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-90 cheaper vs. K-7

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'd like to get the K7, but with the 18-55 it is running $50-$75 more than the Nikon D90 with the very good 18-105VR lens. Don't flame me, I'm not asking for an attack on the D90 or a defense of the K7, but by all reviews and comments the D90 is at least the equal of the K7 and this is a better IQ lens with almost twice the reach. Can we reasonably expect the K7 to come down in price after Christmas enough to move up to the next level lens and compete with the Nikon kit price point?
Brian
Brian, both are great cameras, but they are great in different ways. I own the K-7 and don't think I would be satisfied with the D-90 because I'm used to the great feel and build of Pentax's flagship cameras. In comparison the D-90 feels sort of like a toy, but a very good toy. The D-90 also does a great job, and it's ISO performance is very superior to the ISO performance of the K-7.

I would encourage you to look at the long term picture if this is your first DSLR. Which system best fits the way you are going to shoot pictures? If you like the larger and more flexible Nikon system, then you should go with the D-90. If on the other hand you like getting the maxiumum bang for your buck and the unique character and superior quality of Pentax's flagship cameras, you will probably be happier longterm with the K-7, but remember, you're not just buying a camera with a single lens attached, you are buying into a system. Once you have several lenses its not practical for most photographers to switch systems even if they decide another system better fits their shooting style.

I assume you have shot with both cameras. If you haven't you need to try to find a camera shop and pick up both and fire off a few frames. If you do that, I think it's likely you will end up with the K-7, but either way, it will likely confirm your choice of what's the right camera and system for you.

I hope you will inform those of us who have responded to your query what you ultimately decide to do and whether you are satisfied with your choice.

It doesn't look like any of us are actually commenting on your original question of whether the K-7 will drop in price after Christmas. I suspect it will drop a little bit, but I don't believe it will drop dramatically because there's already a lot of price difference between the K-5 and the K-7.

Best wishes for your future photo happiness!

Last edited by PentaxRev; 12-23-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Another thought
12-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I agree with the advice to evaluate your purchase price based on which system will work best for you in the long term. You can switch systems, but it will cost a lot more in mone and time than if you had picked the right one in the first place.

Honestly, when you consider all of the costs of getting an slr system, $50-75 is not a lot of money and I would consider the price to be virtually equivalent. If that is a big deal for you you really need to be asking the question "new of used."