Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Where to look for a new K20D???

I've been thinking about getting a K7, but remember my old K20D fondly. There must be new K20D's out there somewhere, and if I could find one might consider it instead of the K7. It would allow me to pick up a lens or two as well.... I've been looking around online but have had no luck so far. Any suggestions????
Thanks,
John

12-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #2

McBain's in Alberta still lists them:
Pentax K20D DSLR Body | Canada, Edmonton, McBain Camera
12-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this out, Amazon has five new K20Ds. A bit overpriced in my opinion. At the price of these are, I'd go for the new K-r.

Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction and DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens: Camera & Photo
12-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I thought he said he wanted a new one. KEH has some used K20ds, as do Amazon.

12-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

I know you said new but, just yesterday I put a request for a k20d in the marketplace and had about 4 offers in an hour or so. One of the offers was a very lightly used k20d. All were being offered in the 420/480 range. Way more reasonably priced then anywhere else I looked.

I bought a used k10d last year around Christmas. Ive had no problems what so ever with it.IMO, if you're on a budget, like I am, go used and spend the extra money and get a nice lens.

Btw... In case anyone is wondering, the only reason I'm upgrading from the k10 is for liveview. My eyes just aren't what they used to be and I feel/hope the liveview will help me.
12-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
It is true I was interested in new, but a lightly used K20D from a member here would work as well. So I may post a request for one in the marketplace shortly after Christmas. It would have been nice to have a weather sealed camera these past few days as there were many cool photo opportunities in our recent snow days. But the gear I use now might not handle the wet and cold......
Thanks to all for your replies and Have aMerry Christmas and Happy New Year...
John
12-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
Btw... In case anyone is wondering, the only reason I'm upgrading from the k10 is for liveview. My eyes just aren't what they used to be and I feel/hope the liveview will help me.
If that is the only reason and not much, much better high ISO images, I would not !

I have K20D's and the "LIVE VIEW" is marginal at best. I would suggest you try a K20D out in live view mode. It is grainy and difficult to focus, not the best.

I might add that I had K10D's and sold them because IMHO the sensor in the K20D is superior to the K10D and is better at high ISO's than the K-7. The ISO thing has been beet to death on every Pentax forum known to man. The K-7 though has a much better feature set and does video.

wll
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You received some good advice about buying 2nd hand, and it will save you (to buy better/newer lenses). Why not consider it?

The marketplace in this forum is a good place to start (The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com).

An alternative is reputed 2nd hand photo equipment stores. Keh (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) is highly regarded, and Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera) has also some 2nd hand equipment. I used both and can recommend them. Keh tends to have more 2nd hand choice and their stocks are updated very regularly.

There is off course ebay but be sure of the seller's reputation.

Food for thoughts...

12-23-2010, 03:09 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

An alternative is reputed 2nd hand photo equipment stores. Keh (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) is highly regarded, and Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera) has also some 2nd hand equipment.

I used both and can recommend them. Keh tends to have more 2nd hand choice and their stocks are updated very regularly.......
Thanks for the recommendation for Adorama - BTW, we have over 25,000 units in our used department warehouse at any time - and of course, if you make your purchase via PF (you can click on the banner below), the forum benefits.