Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

Greyhound Play Group Pics

Here's some pics from the dog park this morning. The large white dog is Petey and he's a hoot. I used continuous AF, but had problems with most of my shots. Getting action shots is tough. I set my camera to Tv at either 125 to 250. The dogs move so fast that the AF can't keep up with them.

This is my dog playing with her toy.

10-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #2

Original Poster
Any comments or criticism?
10-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #3

Lovely dogs, pic #2 is my favourite I have two dogs and their faces show a lot of expression when happily playing. You are right.. Peter has a gleam in his eye, and is showing he has personality.

Pic #1 he is saying, 'wait a sec.. watch this!' Good shots, and well done considering the speed those guys change position.

Phil
10-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by runjmb Quote
I used continuous AF, but had problems with most of my shots. Getting action shots is tough. I set my camera to Tv at either 125 to 250. The dogs move so fast that the AF can't keep up with them.
Which dSLR and lens(es) are you using please?

The AF on most modern dSLRs are actually pretty responsive -
but as you are finding out - they can't quite keep up with very fast moving subjects.

Here's a current thread -

Learning to shoot fast action with a Pentax

With fast moving animals there is the additional difficulty of some suddeness/randomness in their motion which makes tracking them difficult -
although one could try a "follow focus" technique - either by manual focus or auto-focus - sudden or more random movement will tend to throw this off.

This is probably a case for using the pre-focus technique along with adequate depth of field -
either by setting focus manually or auto focussing and holding pre-focus on a pre-determined spot and waiting for the shot.

It is not easy - and obviously prone to not quite getting it -
but then, if it were easy, every/anyone would be successful....

10-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The second shot is my favorite

Why do they have to wear muzzles?
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be a park requirement..

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
The second shot is my favorite

Why do they have to wear muzzles?
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Muzzles

The greyhounds have very thin skin and they run in pack very close together, making them very prone to getting accidentaly bit. They wear the muzzles to prevent play bites gone bad. This park actually lets us have a greyhound only playgroup on Sunday mornings so its about 10-15 greyhounds at a time. Its quite a site to see them all running across the field at full speed.

BTW-I am using a K100D with a Sigma 24-135mm. I am going to try the manual focus next time.