Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting to know K100 metering

I finally got a chance to take the K100 out for a spin today and started to get to know its metering and quirks. The K100 tends to underexpose a bit in matrix metering (I suppose to preserve highlights) What metering tricks do you all have? What is your favourite metering mode?

I think I'm too curious for my own good.

12-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I finally got a chance to take the K100 out for a spin today and started to get to know its metering and quirks. The K100 tends to underexpose a bit in matrix metering (I suppose to preserve highlights) What metering tricks do you all have? What is your favourite metering mode?

I think I'm too curious for my own good.
It's good to be curious. When you post, it helps all of us learn.

For me, I rarely use matrix metering. 'bout the only time is for vista landscapes. Otherwise, I mostly use spot metering about 75% of the time and center weighted about 25% of the time.

Most of my histograms, in spot metering mode, are fairly well balanced with a slight underexposure, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a stop? Don't know how much for sure, but it is easily fixed in post.
12-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree w/ volo. I myself use Spot and Center weighted most of the time, w/ matrix metering on occassion....
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
It's good to be curious. When you post, it helps all of us learn.

For me, I rarely use matrix metering. 'bout the only time is for vista landscapes. Otherwise, I mostly use spot metering about 75% of the time and center weighted about 25% of the time.

Most of my histograms, in spot metering mode, are fairly well balanced with a slight underexposure, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a stop? Don't know how much for sure, but it is easily fixed in post.
I am surprised how much of a mental shift using the K100D is. On my D70 I knew the matrix meter very well. (I think it is a lot more accurate than the Pentax one) and used spot for difficult situations. I never used Center Weighted.

I find myself using Center weighted on the K100, haven't used the spot meter yet. As a general rule I prefer a little under 1/3 EV underexposure.

12-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Spot + M

For anything critical I use spot metering in M mode, ISO 200, RAW, often with manual focusing (even if lenses are AF).

I rarely use histogram. Instead, I have learned a long time ago with MX and K1000 how cameras map tonal values to exposures and after a little bit of practice with DS (each camera/film/sensor combo is a bit different) becomes easy to properly expose even in most difficult situations. I assume DS has 5 stops dynamic range, so I mentally map tonal values as follows: -2 very dark gray or reflective black, -1 dark gray, 0 medium gray, +1 light gray and +2 white. In rare situations I think of +3 as "bright white". (The equivalent -3 is close to impossible to meter, so there is no room for "black hole black".)

Spot metering also allows me to explore the scene. That is, after setting initial exposure parameters I usually "sample" various parts of the scene in order to understand how tonal values will appear on the photograph (-3 being black and +3 bright white, in both cases no details, and -2 to +2 as described). If I am not happy it is very easy to adjust shutter speed or aperture since I have a starting point.

Also, I use 1/2 steps, not 1/3: less clicks on a dial for quick adjustments and it is much easier to count 1/2 steps than 1/3 steps.
12-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm using matrix all the time. If DS had metering modes in Fn menu then perhaps I'd use spot metering as well but being as it is I'm too lazy to change metering mode and often there's no time to change it. So if one decides to stick to one metering mode only I'd say that matrix metering is the safest bet. With time one learns what exposure compensation to use in given situation.
I recently started using 0.5 steps which is faster and still accurate enough.
Have to try that "multi spot metering" method mentioned above.