Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Upgrading to K-r from K100d

I just ordered a K-r to upgrade from my K100d. It had been my first DSLR and I really liked it. But I have been frustrated with the AF in low light and the auto white balance under tungsten light, and have been looking at SDM lenses (although I don't think I will have the budget for one for awhile since I just bought the Pentax 12-24).

My question is what to do with my old K100d. It has about 25,000 actuations on it, and is still working perfectly fine, but I'm not sure I really want it as a "backup" given my concerns above. Is there a differentiating factor between the K-r and the K100d that would warrant keeping it? My wife already has a Canon DSLR so I don't really have anyone to give it to. Is it worth trying to sell it? What have people done with their old cameras after upgrading?

Last edited by TeamFleury; 12-22-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added additional question
12-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I got my K100 converted to IR only. It's one way to go.
12-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TeamFleury Quote
I just ordered a K-r to upgrade from my K100d. It had been my first DSLR and I really liked it. But I have been frustrated with the AF in low light and the auto white balance under tungsten light, and have been looking at SDM lenses (although I don't think I will have the budget for one for awhile since I just bought the Pentax 12-24).

My question is what to do with my old K100d. It has about 25,000 actuations on it, and is still working perfectly fine, but I'm not sure I really want it as a "backup" given my concerns above. Is there a differentiating factor between the K-r and the K100d that would warrant keeping it? My wife already has a Canon DSLR so I don't really have anyone to give it to. Is it worth trying to sell it? What have people done with their old cameras after upgrading?
Put it on market place at a great price ($150)and it will be gone to a good home in a few hours. Or send it to me and I'll give it to a deserving kid who can't afford a good DSLR or find a needy person yourself. I gave my K100Ds away like that and it made me feel real good.

Dave
12-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Keep the K100D for when your future SDM lens fails. Then, at least that lens can still autofocus using the screw drive on the K100D.

12-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep it. It is a fine camera and will do in a pinch for a back-up.
And do take some pictures with it and the 12-24, something about that Sony 6 mp CCD sensor makes everything look very nice.
But if you feel compelled to get rid of it, I am willing to pay for shipping!.
12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
trade it with fast prime lens... in combine with SR in your K-r..trust me.. you wouldn't regret it..
12-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

Demand for K100D is high. It will sell right away. It's one of the best cameras Pentax made - ergonomics, function, IQ. It's the best back-up camera.

Th real limitation is the slow AF, which isn't much improved till K7/K-r. The other pet peeves are easily compensated by a knowledgeable operator.
I would suggest to stay away from SDM lenses if you can find alternatives with a drive motor. SDM is not very reliable and will probably not hold well over time. For some reason Pentax will not let you use an SDM lens with the drive motor of an SDM body, although the SDM lens has a screw-drive all well.
12-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

My K100 sits in my bag with a -A 50mm/1.7 set to A. It's not an ideal lens for a digital but I find it works for me as a backup. I used it for available light portraits of a bride and a portrait of our new pastor at his installation service (kilt and all).

CW

12-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

I'd probably keep my K100D if ever I decide to upgrade. Your issues are slow AF in low light and tungsten lighting. You can still use the K100D in lots of other situations.
12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been convinced to keep the K100d for now -- it does take some wonderful pictures outdoors and I can keep a manual lens on it (or attach it to my Pentax 1.7x teleconverter). I'm also glad to hear that the K-r has improved the AF issues. Mine should be arriving next week.