Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #1

My istD won't turn on

Shooting a christmas party last night and suddenly, my istD wouldn't turn on! Have tried new batteries but absolutley nothing happens. Didn't drop i or bump it and the battery level was good at the time.....Very strange. ANY HELP OUT THERE?

12-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

This might not help, but have you checked the internal battery?
12-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might not help either, but it sounds like what happens without a memory card.
12-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried an external power supply?

12-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My *istD gave me lots of trouble at one point. I replaced the internal battery (as suggested), and it's performed flawlessly since. For $5 it's worth a try.
12-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas but my camera doesn't have the external battery door with the coin slot....I tried taking the bottom off but no battery! I tried an external power but to no avail....This is very weird. It just won't turn on! What to do now? Send it off somewhere?
12-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
No internal battery that I can find!, External power doesn't work and different and new memmory cards don't help...in or out! Very strange ...what is my next option?

12-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ppickard Quote
No internal battery that I can find!, External power doesn't work and different and new memmory cards don't help...in or out! Very strange ...what is my next option?
You could contact Pentax service, but you may find the cost to repair exceeds the value of the camera. I contacted Eric ( highly recommended by forum members here ), but he doesn't do digital camera bodies. I don't know where to send it, other than Pentax. You could sell it on ebay as a parts camera and buy something to replace it. Have you thought about a budget? Keh has a DS for $215 in EX+ and a KM for $286 in LN- condition and a K200D too. Look on the Forum here in the equipment for sale section.
12-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ppickard Quote
Thanks for the ideas but my camera doesn't have the external battery door with the coin slot....
The Pentax *istD surely has a slotted coin battery door located at the bottom of the camera.

If you do not have that door, then you probably have a newer model *istDL or *istDS, which does not have the slotted coin battery door.