Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K20D versus K10D

Can anyone tell me the advantages of a K20D over a K10D. I currently own a K10D that I am looking at giving to my daughter. I don't have the coin for a K5 or K7. Is the K20 a better camera with better specs than the K10? Is it worth purchasing?

Thanks for reading my post.

12-23-2010, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
  • 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor
  • Live view mode
  • 2.7 inch 230,000 dot LCD (up from 2.5 in. 210,000)
  • Burst mode, allows 21fps shooting at 1.6MP resolution (up to 115 frames)
  • Dynamic range expansion mode
  • X-sync flash socket
  • Image parameter settings (Custom image), enhanced
  • Color adjustable LCD monitor
  • Compare mode in playback
  • 32x zoom in playback
  • Adjustable levels of High ISO noise reduction
  • Senstivities up to ISO 3200 (extendable to 6400), rather than ISO 1600
  • Dust alert for locating particles on the sensor
  • Pixel mapping to identify and correct for dead pixels
  • AF fine-tuning (for all lenses or up to 20 chosen lenses)
are the differences listed at that camera review forum i couldn't link to. the 20 is a refinement on the 10. the 7 is a whole different camera. some say worse than the 20 but after buying it i'd say they are wrong.

BTW you'd be surprised what you might pick up a good used k7 for, a new k20 will be next to impossible to find at this point (though there were some recent refurb sales in the US
I just went k10 to k7, and have to say i was seriously impressed by the change (as much as i wanted a k5 it was way too much)
i didn't pick up a k20 instead of the k7 because the prices weren't far apart and the 20 usage was likely to be a fair bit higher being an older camera (YMMV)
12-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
  • 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor
  • Live view mode
  • 2.7 inch 230,000 dot LCD (up from 2.5 in. 210,000)
  • Burst mode, allows 21fps shooting at 1.6MP resolution (up to 115 frames)
  • Dynamic range expansion mode
  • X-sync flash socket
  • Image parameter settings (Custom image), enhanced
  • Color adjustable LCD monitor
  • Compare mode in playback
  • 32x zoom in playback
  • Adjustable levels of High ISO noise reduction
  • Senstivities up to ISO 3200 (extendable to 6400), rather than ISO 1600
  • Dust alert for locating particles on the sensor
  • Pixel mapping to identify and correct for dead pixels
  • AF fine-tuning (for all lenses or up to 20 chosen lenses)
are the differences listed at that camera review forum i couldn't link to. the 20 is a refinement on the 10. the 7 is a whole different camera. some say worse than the 20 but after buying it i'd say they are wrong.

BTW you'd be surprised what you might pick up a good used k7 for, a new k20 will be next to impossible to find at this point (though there were some recent refurb sales in the US
I just went k10 to k7, and have to say i was seriously impressed by the change (as much as i wanted a k5 it was way too much)
i didn't pick up a k20 instead of the k7 because the prices weren't far apart and the 20 usage was likely to be a fair bit higher being an older camera (YMMV)
Just to add, I had two K10D's and they were a huge disappointment to me. The 1600 ISO was just horrible, and the 800 ISO was nothing to write home about either, my old DS was much better in that regard.

I bought K20D's because of the reports I saw on this forum and other forums and was extremely happy, as a matter of fact, even though the K-7 has more features and video, the sensor is not an improvement, in the higher ISO's .... hence I did not get them and purchased a couple more K20D's instead (all have battery packs, BTW).

My next camera will be the K-5 to be sure.

I'm probably one of Pentax's biggest fans of the K20D, you can see that when a good one goes up for sale that has around 2500 shutter activations for around $475.00 (as of this writing) it is sold VERY quickly.

IMHO, the K20D is everything the K10D should have been, and the K-5 is everything the K-7 should have been.

Please excuse me, I hear one of me K20D's calling me :-)

wll
12-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #4

This is exactly what I am wondering to. Thanks for the info!

12-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

I'm probably one of Pentax's biggest fans of the K20D, you can see that when a good one goes up for sale that has around 2500 shutter activations for around $475.00 (as of this writing) it is sold VERY quickly.

IMHO, the K20D is everything the K10D should have been, and the K-5 is everything the K-7 should have been.

wll
If I had not got a great price on the k7 used i would have gone the 20 d route. I still like the feel of the k10/20 body better, but i'm adapting to the 7. If i could have swung the cost i would have gone strait to the k5, as it sits i will get a 5 in a year or so and have a balanced 2 camera kit that shares batteries etc. the k10 I've got a buyer already, the ds will likely go to the same guy. and i'll live with film and the 7 for a while
if you can find a good deal on a low actuation k20 then grab it, just be aware of what the k7's are going for as well as they are likely to have less actuations

good hunting and have a great christmas
12-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

wll
For me, I LOVED the K10d. Compared to the *istD I had at the time, it was everything I wanted in a camera. The dual knobs and excellent low-iso image quality, weather sealing, 10.2MP.

When I finally upgraded to the K20d, it was everything I expected and more. I thought the K10d was the perfect low-iso camera, but the K20d was better on all accounts with the addition of focus adjustment, AF speed improvement, very usable high ISO functionality (especially with today's noise reduction software), Live View function for macro, and of course the extra megapixels. Battery grip from the K10d also fit; cherry on top.
12-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

As a side note to my earlier thread.

I also own a couple of K200D's and to me Pentax improved on the quality of the sensor, compared to the K10D. I know it is suppose to be the same and I'm sure it is, but I think Pentax did some tweaks and it is a little better to my eyes.

I delegate those cameras now to two things, my studio stuff (keep that camera at work) and architecture - landscape stuff (that camera is at home). I have a Tamron 10-24mm on the home camera, and the Tamron 10-24mm works well for architecture.

Although I have these K200D's and would like to sell them, you can't get anything close to what you have into them, so you might as well use them till they fall apart. No one will pay $400 for a K200D when a good low shutter count K20D is going for $475.00 and is light years ahead of the K200D in sensor technology and features. That being said a K-x can be had for ~$400.00 with low shutter activations and will blow the K200D out of the universe.

wll
12-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a k20D and have recently had D *9st and a K200D, but I just traded the K200D for a K-x (and $300). As much as I love the K20D for landscapes etc. for action wildlife shots I'm good with the k-x. The camera I trade in for my k-5 will be the k20d, not the k-x, that little K-x just has such a nice feel to it, and without actually timing it, I'd swear it focuses and shoots twice as fast as my k20d on action shots.

12-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a k20D and have recently had D *9st and a K200D, but I just traded the K200D for a K-x (and $300). As much as I love the K20D for landscapes etc. for action wildlife shots I'm good with the k-x. The camera I trade in for my k-5 will be the k20d, not the k-x, that little K-x just has such a nice feel to it, and without actually timing it, I'd swear it focuses and shoots twice as fast as my k20d on action shots.
Nice shot Normhead, does he/she make dog snow angels as well?
my whackjob cattle dog is a chore to walk in fresh snow every few feet he has to drop an roll around like a lunatic
herding dogs gotta love em
12-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Decisions, decisions, decisions

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions guys. So I guess the question for me is I want to move up from my K10D. Will the K20D give me a real improvement or do I have to go up to a K7 to see any difference. I guess I am talking sensor, low noise, higher ISO etc. I don't mind spending $400+ on a used camera but I want to have a substantial improvement for the money. Make sense? Is the K7 a major leap forward from the K20D. I really am not sure about the KX and KR. It looks like all but the K5 I would have to find used.
12-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I only have a k100 and k200, but the k5 is the first upgrade I'd consider (except for free or very low cost, of course.) The k200 I got more to have a 2nd body, than for an upgrade. In particular I say that because you're concerned about noise and high iso. For me it would depend more on the size of output I wanted. To some extent there is no substitute for pixels, so if you need the 10-14 increase, then you need it. Otherwise it seems like whatever you get would be a substantial compromise for what you want, relative to what's available now, but like I said I don't have a k20/k7 so I'm just basing this on reports I've read, and having the k200 (with a sensor similar to what you have.)

Paul
12-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Thanks for all the advice/suggestions guys. So I guess the question for me is I want to move up from my K10D. Will the K20D give me a real improvement or do I have to go up to a K7 to see any difference. I guess I am talking sensor, low noise, higher ISO etc. I don't mind spending $400+ on a used camera but I want to have a substantial improvement for the money. Make sense? Is the K7 a major leap forward from the K20D. I really am not sure about the KX and KR. It looks like all but the K5 I would have to find used.
the k 20 vs the k7 is actually better on high iso from what i understand, sensor of course is a big jump on both, noise improved on the 20 (and 7) over the 10 at higher iso, however at 100 the 10 is actually a little better (less pixels crammed in the same space frequently will outperform)
the big thing i notice on the 7 is how quiet it is, the metering is better, the body though small seems better built, the viewfinder is better, and coupled with a small lens it weighs nothing comparatively (I have a funny feeling I'll be hunting down a 40 pancake if i can find one at the right price, seems like it would be an ideal pair)
I haven't bought the grip yet but a lot of people seem to prefer it that way to bring the size back up. I've actually stopped using the grip on my 10 to get the weight and size down, so i just bought a spare battery. from what you say you are looking for the 20 will suit your needs, and they do come up at lower prices than the k7 (if i could have ordered the moofi deal at 499 for the refurbs, i'd have a 20 instead of the 7 but they didn't ship to Canada..... good thing as I got my k7 for not much more as i didn't have to pay taxes on import)
12-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for me K10d is just the perfect camera. and im not actually buying the 14 MP K20D have. what made me willing to upgrade is because, somehow the K10D have suffer the back focus chronic disability which put me in nuts.

well something more hassle than others. turn out i was given up with that.

k20D have a af correction debug mode for 10 lens. that is cool.
12-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Forum Member

For me the killer feature was the AF correction mode.

My 16-45 is badly out of whack; on my old K10D I had to set correction to +120um to get the 16-45 to focus properly, this completely screwed up all my other AF lenses.

The K20D can do AF adjustment for many lenses (I don't know, 20? 10?) so this meant I could keep using my 16-45. It has Live View (which is fairly useless, a bad implementation) and more pixels. Not important to me.

Note that with Canon you needed at least a 1D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 50D, or 7D to get the AF correction (60D doesn't have it).