Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 replacement/out of production?

Hi everybody.
I'll get straight to the point. The way the K-r 's price is dropping (about 150.00 dollars to $649.00 for the body only and the k-5 also about $130.00 for the body, the prices seem to be making room for the replacement for the k-7 to be announced by Pentax during next years CES show in Vegas January 6-9. Pentax will need to have a new 14 MP APS-C chip dslr to go with its new 12 and 16 MP dslrs. what do you guys think?

12-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jusfun21 Quote
Hi everybody.
I'll get straight to the point. The way the K-r 's price is dropping (about 150.00 dollars to $649.00 for the body only and the k-5 also about $130.00 for the body, the prices seem to be making room for the replacement for the k-7 to be announced by Pentax during next years CES show in Vegas January 6-9. Pentax will need to have a new 14 MP APS-C chip dslr to go with its new 12 and 16 MP dslrs. what do you guys think?
The K7 is no more, replaced my the K5.
12-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No longer being ordered

Photo shops can no longer order the K7. The K5 replaced it. The only way to get a new K7 is on Ebay and photo shops selling old stock. They still want in the $1,00.00 to $1,300.00 dollar range for a new body and stock lens. Used is about $600.00 to $800.00.
12-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Photo shops can no longer order the K7. The K5 replaced it. The only way to get a new K7 is on Ebay and photo shops selling old stock. They still want in the $1,00.00 to $1,300.00 dollar range for a new body and stock lens. Used is about $600.00 to $800.00.
Maybe in USA...It's easy to buy K-7 n the rest of world

12-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I think you guys are misunderstanding his point - he's wondering if there will be another new pentax body announced to fit in the lineup between the KR and the K5 (such as a K7 Super). I would be surprised if that happened, however. The resulting camera wouldn't be different enough from the two existing to justify it.
12-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe in USA...It's easy to buy K-7 n the rest of world
At this point you've got to know Pentax doesn't run more than 2 bodies. Though there hasn't been an official announcement, the K7 is no longer in production, replaced by the K5.

To the OP, Pentax has always been a 2 dlsr body business. They come out pretty consistently on a 16-18 month schedule, the K-r was an early exception to that rule. Though the K7 has not been officially announced, it is a very safe bet the K5 is the replacement, they will not have a mid-level body between the Kr and K5.
12-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A swag imho - wr k-r evil. Ok?

12-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
At this point you've got to know Pentax doesn't run more than 2 bodies. Though there hasn't been an official announcement, the K7 is no longer in production, replaced by the K5.

To the OP, Pentax has always been a 2 dlsr body business. They come out pretty consistently on a 16-18 month schedule, the K-r was an early exception to that rule. Though the K7 has not been officially announced, it is a very safe bet the K5 is the replacement, they will not have a mid-level body between the Kr and K5.
I had another info. Hoya decided to have 4 bodies at the market this year to compete more efficiently. It's easy to buy ALL cameras at BHPHoto, for example.
And not only in USA.

K-x and K-7 are still in production.
?????PENTAX

I think this cameras will be in production till next Spring when we can see new EVIL system.
12-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's easy to buy ALL cameras at BHPHoto, for example.
I think B&H is currently only offering the Kx with the kit lens, you can't buy just the body. Last time I checked, Adorama was offering the Kx without a kit. I notice that B&H is selling the K-7 with kit WR zoom for about the same price I paid for it (at Adorama, actually) last June. I would have thought the price would have come down a bit since then.
12-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

By my count they are a 3 body (or 4 if you count the 645d) business.

k-x Entry level
k-r Adds battery, viewfinder points, and a couple more features
k-5 Adds WR, 100% pentaprism, more pixels, more features

Hopefully for CES they will have new lenses and accessories to show off.

I think the shift in the market price is just the natural process of the product finding its level against the competition.
12-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I may be wrong but they seem destined to be a 4 body business in the future:

K5 and kr of course,
645d
evil camera which is rumoured

i don't think kx or k7 count do to their not being "in production"

best wishes,
12-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moving this to the DSLR section. Please don't post pure speculative threads and claim that they are rumors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #13

I wish Pentax offered a K7 with the K-x sensor at around $800, that would be the perfect camera for me.
12-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the kx will stick around either till the Kr drops in price enough that it is close to the kx price, or until Pentax releases an EVIL camera. The K7 will stick around until retailers have sold enough of their stock of K7s that it won't harm them if Pentax announces that it is discontinued. Prices on both cameras are probably about as low as they will go.
12-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
I wish Pentax offered a K7 with the K-x sensor at around $800, that would be the perfect camera for me.
Ditto! That would take the wind out of K5 sales.