Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Kx to K5 worth the upgrade?

Not a unique question by any means, but I couldn't find anything recent. I got a new "open-box" K5 from Amazon a few days ago, curious to see if the buzz is worth the upgrade (to me at least). Not surprisingly, it has a small stain in the sensor (no problem there, can return until end of Jan). I have never used a K7 or any dSLR other than the K-x, so I really like the form factor of the K-5, the construction, the two-dials and the TAv mode. I also like the AF points in the VF (and of course the bigger VF) and the wonderful (compared to the K-x) LCD screen. Sure, there are a lot of other features that I have yet to explore. But...

Direct comparison of some shots with same settings and same lens (DA 21mm and DA-L 35mm) would not support the need for an upgrade. In addition, the K5 AF system did marginally better, if at all, chasing my 15 month son around indoors (not optimal conditions, but that's where I felt the main limitation of the k-x was).

Tests will of course continue, but at this point it seems less likely I would opt for an upgrade at the current price. An alternative would be to keep the K-x with some primes that I have and a couple of basic zooms and save for another brand (d7000 or 7D and a lens or two). I like the Pentax primes, but if all I need to get a decent use out of them is the K-x, maybe I shouldn't spend any more on Pentax...

12-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If all you consider is IQ then the K-x should surely suffice but that is not everything a camera is about. You probably already have your answer since you held and tried the K-5 already, so you tell me, is the better body and controls, better viewfinder, LCD and AF worth the upgrade FOR YOU?
12-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
... I really like the form factor of the K-5, the construction, the two-dials and the TAv mode. I also like the AF points in the VF (and of course the bigger VF) and the wonderful (compared to the K-x) LCD screen
All these features are in the K-7, by the way, and re-used (un-touched) in the K-5.

If you want these, you may consider the K-7 that is as good as (if not better) the K-x at low ISO, and has more controls. It may be a good option for a second body.

Personally I feel that the K-5 price are really high right now and I am not sure that it is worth its price. Since you already have the K-x, you may consider instead to buy some nice glass, and invest next year in the K-5, or go for the K-7 that is nearly half the price of the K-5 and has a lot of goodies.

Food for thoughts.... and Merry Xmas.

Last edited by hcc; 12-25-2010 at 09:59 AM.
12-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have given thought to the advantages of the K7, especially with the dropping price. My concern is that its high ISO performance is reportedly the same if not worse than that of the K-x. The AF may be better but so will be that of a D90 - it's price is also dropping substantially. In terms of glass, I am not sure I am going to invest more until the body situation is cleared. My next goal would be a fast telezoom (50-135 or 70-200), but if I decide that the next best upgrade will be a CaNikon then I might as well wait to get it in a different mount.

12-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
Direct comparison of some shots with same settings and same lens (DA 21mm and DA-L 35mm) would not support the need for an upgrade.
Why don't you post some comparison pictures with same settings and same lens, would be useful to others too.