Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiquito3 Quote
I keep reading that the sharpness with the kit lenses could improve much with better lenses. My question is if is really worth buying the 2 lenses kit when at the end I won't be liking them too much? Where can I see sample pictures taken with the kit lenses?
I've only had my K-x with kit lens since July, but I have amassed a good number of inexpensive lenses since I purchased it. With some prime (non-zoom, fixed-focal length) lenses, you can get sharper, more contrasty photos. But it's not that simple.

For example, I absolutely love my Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.4. It was the first lens I bought aside from the kit 18-55 mm lens, and I paid about $60 for it on ebay. I wish I had a lens in every focal length that was as excellent as this lens. But I've found that, in this price range, this lens is a fluke. I am fairly sure you're going to have a hard time finding anything else in this price range that comes close. For example, I also have a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8 MF, and it is faster and slightly sharper than the kit lens, but not much. It also cost around $60.

And if you want an autofocus zoom lens with superior speed and quality, you're going to pay more than the price of the camera w/ 18-55mm kit lens. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the kit with both lenses. Comparing the IQ of the kit 18-55mm lens to other lenses I've used that don't cost an arm and a leg, I am quite pleased with the quality. It's actually a decent wide-angle lens at 18mm, and that's primarily where I use it.