Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x and K-r Shake Reduction performance

I'm planning to buy my first DSLR and have the K-x and the K-r as my main options after reading such rave reviews, but I have a doubt after reading on one of these reviews that the shake reduction system on the K-x is bad.
I plan to use that camera mostly hand held so a good image stabilization is a MUST for me. Could you guys recommend or tell me if this is true?

12-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Kx SR works just fine. I have done some controlled test (sorry I deleted the photos) and have found that I can go as low as 1/10 with relatively good results and photos at 1/25 look like they were on a tripod. So I can say with confidence that the Kx SR lives up to my standards.

As for the Kr, I cannot comment since I have never used one. I would assume that the SR would be just as good if not better.
12-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
It definitely is effective. It won't make up for bad technique - you still have to know/learn how to hold a camera properly - but the same goes for in-lens IS. I don't have good skills, but if I really work at it I can get razor sharp exposures 1/8 sec @ 50mm. Obviously you get less favorable results just snapping away.

Don't lose sight of the cost difference either. Price the Pentax 16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, and 100mm/2.8 macro, then see what the same set of lenses in IS version from Canon or Nikon would cost you.
12-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure where you read that the K-x SR is ineffective. But it does not fit with a number of independant reviews of the K=x by leading websites.

I have the K-7 (slightly older than the K-x) and I have done a few tests with and without SR. Nothing scientific but all handheld with various lightings. The SR is definitely effective!

The in-camera SR is a bonus because it allows you to use any type of lenses (IS or not IS). And the non-IS lenses are much cheaper with a very nice line-up of Pentax lenses.

Last edited by hcc; 12-24-2010 at 11:21 PM.
12-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I read it here:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My K-x Review is Here! (with Measurbations, Tips and Tricks)
12-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I take Rice's blog with a 'grain of salt'. He seems to want to bash Pentax. I don't know why, but he posts negative rumors and information that later turns out to be wrong. Keep that in mind if you visit the website.
12-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had essential tremors since I was a kid and it's always made it hell to take photos without an incredibly fast shutter speed. I bought the K-x because of its in-body shake reduction, and I am happy with the results. I can now take photos with a shutter speed as slow as 1/30 or 1/40 second without shake blur on focal lengths up to about 80mm. I have to push the shutter speed up for longer focal lengths.

My only wish is that the camera could somehow sense the focal length of manual lenses and adjust the shake reduction accordingly. As it is, you have to manually enter in the focal length for manual lenses in order for shake reduction to work properly.

12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Ricehigh is off the charts, IMHO he never met a Pentax digital camera he liked. He finds fault with everything. He is EXTREMELY critical !

I go to his site and find it most amusing ;-)

wll
12-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you guys.
I don't plan to be using any manual lenses on the near future but who knows.
Can you recommend budget quality lenses that will work well with auto focus with K-x
12-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
re Lens, try the older Tamron 18-250mm as an all purpose carry around lens - it is truly one of the 'I'm glad i bought it' lenses but take note that it is quite heavy.

The replacement Tammy 18-270mm is not as sharp as the older 18-250 but there is a brand new version of the 18-270mm that may be better - not yet in Pentax mount though.

A lot of people also recommend the Sigma 17 - 70mm lens as a very sharp replacement for the kit lens but the Tammy 18 - 250mm covers the same range and is a true one size fits all type of lens.
12-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As a newbie I think I should star with as low as possible lenses until I get used to the camera and the weight, so sugestions on the light side lenses would be much appreciated.
12-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiquito3 Quote
I plan to use that camera mostly hand held so a good image stabilization is a MUST for me.
Why ? Plenty of people that shoot without image stabilisation.

As a newbie I think I should star with as low as possible lenses until I get used to the camera and the weight, so sugestions on the light side lenses would be much appreciated.
You can start with the kit lens/lenses. Learn to use it/them and find its/their limitations. Next it's time for your next lens.
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I keep reading that the sharpness with the kit lenses could improve much with better lenses. My question is if is really worth buying the 2 lenses kit when at the end I won't be liking them too much? Where can I see sample pictures taken with the kit lenses?
12-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Where can I see sample pictures taken with the kit lenses?
For warm ups:
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=3680&sub...46&language=EN
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=60&subSu...08&language=EN
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=3720&sub...56&language=EN
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=4000&sub...=0&language=EN
(K-r only Kit option at JP/AR and some US/EU outlets)
And:
Pentax 18-55 - Flickr: Search
Pentax 50-200 - Flickr: Search
Pentax 55-300 - Flickr: Search
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Pentax+DA+35mm+2.4+AL+-2.8+-2.0&ss=0&ct=0&mt=all&w=all&adv=1
(K-r only Kit option at JP/AR and some US/EU outlets)

Plus there's sure to be tens of millions more, give or take, spread over other sites out there too.

Don't forget to give us your verdict when you've inspected them all. Your objective conclusions will be welcome to hear.

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-31-2010 at 08:05 AM.
12-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #15

I'm planning to buy my first DSLR and have the K-x and the K-r as my main options after reading such rave reviews, but I have a doubt after reading on one of these reviews that the shake reduction system on the K-x is bad.
I plan to use that camera mostly hand held so a good image stabilization is a MUST for me. Could you guys recommend or tell me if this is true?
If this is your first DSLR, then I'm assuming you're coming from a point and shoot camera. Even if you bought a camera and lens with no image stabilization at all, you're still likely to get better results than you did with your point and shoot.

I've found that the SR on the KX works quite well. I can take pretty sharp shots in dimly lit rooms even down to 1/25th shutter speeds. Also, if you're shooting outside in decent lighting, you don't need the SR turned on at all.

Also, all entry level DSLR's come with lenses that might not be the greatest on the market. But that's so they can make the camera affordable. It might be worth taking jlaubza's advice. Get yourself the camera body with no lenses, and put the money you saved into a good Tamron 18-250mm lens.