Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

who thinks the prices of lens is gonna shoot through the roof?

I'm starting to see people moving toward DSLR... I have friends who doesn't know jack about camera, wanting to get a DSLR (and many of them are girls too), i walk in fry and there's a ton of people checking out DSLR (who obviously doesn't even know the most basic thing about photography), I mean we obviously have a shitload of people who only used P&S on auto mode all of a sudden switching to DSLR. Bodies prices are dropping like a rock, and they're picking up those rock along with the lens.

OK, not only that, we're starting to see new mounts that is able to use all kindda lens.

1) sony NEX
2) Micro 4/3 (panasonic, olympus)
3) Samsung NX

all of them will take any lens with an adaptor and go to town in manual mode (tested the NEX, that thing is a beast in manual mode, too bad I don't like the design).

The lens are getting soaked up lol, basically lens like canon FD (like no one used the dam thing since no one can mount it before), minolta MD/MC (same reason as above), konica (same thing) ect... ect.. Even those are moving up in price, Pentax lens and M42 mount (aka the universal giver), they are able to be mount on a lot of differerent camers, prices are sky high.

What can I say, gobble up those lens before there's none left lol. I'm gonna grab what I need and lay low, I think by this time next year we'll see a total different ball game for lens price.

12-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like what happened to Pentax lenses. Before the 1st Pentax DSLR, the demand for used Pentax lenses were so low even for the FA*, they were plentiful and could be had cheaply on eBay. The price had soared sharply since the DS and some once nobody wanted lenses were so hyped up and being legends. I see the prices for FA* have stabilized and the asking prices are already higher than the actual market values. Some are even more expensive than higher performance brand new Canon/Nikon but some got caught in the hype. Life is full of surprises.
12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I'm starting to see people moving toward DSLR...

What can I say, gobble up those lens before there's none left lol. I'm gonna grab what I need and lay low, I think by this time next year we'll see a total different ball game for lens price.
You sound like you're having one of those "Fear I'm losing grip and the world is taking away my last precious dreams..." days.

Chin up old chap. Here, just take another look at yourself in "the mirror"... Shutterfinger: What Your Choice of Camera Says About You
...and have a good laugh. Tomorrow will be another day, and that circa 1937 screw mount polished brass 9.9mm f/14.7 manual everything Super Teknot for $3.27 might come your way this time.

.R.

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it.
It is never of any use to oneself." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
12-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The law of supply and demand will even things out. I do think, however, that this is a necessary evil of expanding market share (at least with Pentax...). The questions comes back to whether or not the lens manufacturers will be able to keep up so prices don't get too out of wack. We've already seen Pentax prices spike as wlachan pointed out. I guess we'll see what we see.

12-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Now that the recession lingers on people aren't ready to buy expensive glass, but I would expect prices of some limiteds to go up if Pentax's new camera models conquer some significant portion of the market pie. For instance, the DA 40mm seems almost too good for the price, and the DA 15mm and DA 14mm are half the price of the Nikon 14mm (and, according to photozone, optically better).
12-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nikon is well known for their overly priced lens... but the DA 15/14 is pretty dam sweet... the problem arise with our APS-C sensor is we don't get as wide as they used to in full frame... then the micro 4/3 people will get in on the complain because they're in an even worst situation than us lol.
12-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
For instance, the DA 40mm seems almost too good for the price, and the DA 15mm and DA 14mm are half the price of the Nikon 14mm (and, according to photozone, optically better).
The DA40 used to be USD2xx only but being jacked up by HOYA. Also, Nikkor 14 is a FF lens, DA14/15 are not, and I think the DA14 sucks on optical performance. Even the DA16-45 is better at the wide end.

12-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I had enquired abouts some lenses on Craigslist a while back as the mount wasn't listed. I got the answer back that they were FD mount but had already sold. Either the buyer had an FD compatible system or some morons are going around picking up the decently priced glass, but it's frustrating when even 'undesirable' mounts are going straight away!
12-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

1) Shouldn't this thread be in the LENS forum?

2) Used lens prices reflect supply and demand; demand is a function of perception and mood. The Tak 55/1.8 and 55/2 have precisely the same optics, just different max aperture stops. Yet an f/1.8 might fetch US$50 now while an f/2 *won't* sell for US$10. Zillions of Tak 55/2's exist, and zillions of M42 CZJ Tessar 50/2.8's exist. A Zeiss may fetch US$100, even though slower and not optically better than a Tak 55/2. The market is crazy. Perceptions are crazy.

3) Does a rising tide lift all boats? Will obscure mounts see the same price rise as name-brand mounts? Back to the CZJ Tessar 50/2.8: My big black 5-iris-blade M42 copy cost me US$55 a couple years ago. My small shiny 12-iris-blade Exakta-mount copy cost me US$7 not so long ago. The Exakta-mount is arguably the better lens -- I use it much since I crafted an adapter. Are the days of Exakta-mount bargains gone? Will EVIL users drive them out of reach?

4) Not only big-name glass are seeing price rises. More shooters are realizing that store-brands like Sears, Focal (K-Mart), JC Penny, as well as Quantaray and Promaster, are often decent or superior. (Remember than some Pentax products were branded as Sears.) Import-brands too: Lentar, Albinar, Porst, Hanimex, as well as predominant Vivitar: UP UP UP!

5) How to avoid the inflation: Use a bellows. Many astounding enlarger and projector and bellows-macro lenses are still available cheap. But for how long?
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
What can I say, gobble up those lens before there's none left lol.
Whatever it takes to justify your LBA I guess. Enjoy
12-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect that there will be a strong market for high image quality autofocus lenses like the Pre DA limited primes and the faster FA glass. The Kx brought a lot of new folk into the Pentax fold and the K5 once its quirks are fixed will undoubtedly capture more of the prosumer segment. Those Kx users will graduate to wanting lenses that deliver better image quality and the prosumers won't settle for anything less. If Pentax ever offers an affordable FF option, the Pre DA limiteds will undoubtedly rise sky high in price. One caution though when assessing the market. From what I can see ebay (store) sellers are absolutely gouging the market with their lens prices, so their prices shouldn't be viewed as the norm. Watching the prices for lenses listed by individual ebay sellers, KEH, Adorama, B&H and your local Craig's List would probably be the more accurate indicators in the long term.
12-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
1) Shouldn't this thread be in the LENS forum?

2) Used lens prices reflect supply and demand; demand is a function of perception and mood. The Tak 55/1.8 and 55/2 have precisely the same optics, just different max aperture stops. Yet an f/1.8 might fetch US$50 now while an f/2 *won't* sell for US$10. Zillions of Tak 55/2's exist, and zillions of M42 CZJ Tessar 50/2.8's exist. A Zeiss may fetch US$100, even though slower and not optically better than a Tak 55/2. The market is crazy. Perceptions are crazy.

3) Does a rising tide lift all boats? Will obscure mounts see the same price rise as name-brand mounts? Back to the CZJ Tessar 50/2.8: My big black 5-iris-blade M42 copy cost me US$55 a couple years ago. My small shiny 12-iris-blade Exakta-mount copy cost me US$7 not so long ago. The Exakta-mount is arguably the better lens -- I use it much since I crafted an adapter. Are the days of Exakta-mount bargains gone? Will EVIL users drive them out of reach?

4) Not only big-name glass are seeing price rises. More shooters are realizing that store-brands like Sears, Focal (K-Mart), JC Penny, as well as Quantaray and Promaster, are often decent or superior. (Remember than some Pentax products were branded as Sears.) Import-brands too: Lentar, Albinar, Porst, Hanimex, as well as predominant Vivitar: UP UP UP!

5) How to avoid the inflation: Use a bellows. Many astounding enlarger and projector and bellows-macro lenses are still available cheap. But for how long?

Surprisingly for me I think only previous DSLR user (who now owns EVIL camera) knows about using manual lens on those camera. lol. The new owner simply buy lens from the manufacture of their camera... but there's a huge group grabing up those EVIL camera (save money on lens, essentially they get a new toy and get to reuse all their lens).

And if you think about it, sony packs a pancake 16mm f/2.8 with the NEX3 for 500 dollars, just for kicks adorama throw in a memory card + a bag. from all manufacture, an autofocus 16mm f/2.8 has got to be at the very least 200 dollars... making the body 300? wowza.
12-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #13

Most new users switching from a Point & Shoot to a DSRL for 'the look of a big camera' will most likely never be interested in going 'backwards' in technology (old lenses) and will never use their camera other than in AUTO modes. Their main interest in upgrading the kit lens would probably be something like a 18-250mm superzoom for a '1-lens-does-it-all' set-up.

Nowadays, very few people (if any...) bother learning photography basics or even reading the manual, they simply turn the mode button to the 'night' or 'sports' setting and hope for the best, results are usually much better than their P&S ever got so it's plenty good enough for them.

There's a big gap between 'people who take pictures' and a 'photographer'
and their interest in equipment is not the same, you could give a them your finest
prime lens and they won't use it because 'it's not a zoom'.

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 12-28-2010 at 06:04 PM.
12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

Prices will come down. Way down. Increased demand will result in increased supply, but then the economy will continue advance further south leaving a glut of lenses making them very affordable.
12-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Primes blow - old school!

The best zooms are every bit as good - if not better than the best primes. I've been dumping my primes with absolutely ZERO regrets.