Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
smudge on my ccd mirror

All my shots have a small smudge on upper left section, regardless of lens I am using, so I assume the smudge is on my ccd mirror of K100D camera.
Can someone tell me how to clean this without damaging my camera or the ccd mirror. Freddy

12-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If the smudges are showing up in the pictures themselves, there is dust on the sensor.
There should be a section in your owners manual that gives instructions, and Googling "sensor cleaning" should give a lot of good information as well.
12-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Given the fact that the mirror goes up to form a seal to prevent light from coming out of the focus-screen area its for sure the cover over your sensor (AA filter...). You need a wet cleaning.

To keep things simple and economical I will do what I normally would not. Recommend a specific product.

VisibleDust - Product Page

This product gives you a cleaning solution that should remove any stain on your sensors cover. It also gives 4 swabs, so it should last a while. The cost is $25 USA, so it's economical. VD makes 3 cleaning solutions, this one should be best for your stain. If not they make one stronger yet! You can also clean your mirror with this solution and the orange swabs. Do note cleaning the mirror does not affect IQ good or bad! And I would not unless you see a big stain on it. Again it goes up to cover the focus-screen when taking a pic.

BTW if you use a bulb blower to clean your sensor more than likely thats how it got there! Blowers really when all is said and done over the life of a dSLR are not good IMO.
12-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The blower works every time (on loose dust) for me. Just puff it a few times before aiming inside the camera.

I swear to God people around here must have Stock in Visible Dust.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ur-photos.html