Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Trouble with new Christmas present lights

So my wife was very sweet and picked me up a Cowboy mono strobe kit. I am having trouble however because I have no way to sync them to the camera. They do support wireless but the strob is out of sync and does not illuminate the shots in any setting on my K200. Any help would be appreciated.

12-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you using your built-in camera flash to optically trigger the strobe? If so, the PTTL pre-flash is probably triggering the strobe before the shutter opens. I'm not sure what the best work around is but I would guess that some sort of manual setting is part of the answer.

Another possible cause could be your shutter speed. Are you below the 1/180 sync speed?

Don't be afraid to bump this thread in a day or two, as the ultra-knowledgeable flash experts could be traveling for the holidays.

Good luck.

Tim
12-25-2010, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Tim is correct about the built-in flash's pre-flash triggering your strobe prematurely. The only way to get the built-in flash to properly trigger the strobe is to mount a lens that isn't in the A position. Even if you did, the flash would then fire at full power, which might affect your scene.

I'm assuming your Cowboy Studio strobe came with a PC sync cable; if so, you could use it with an adapter like this: http://amzn.to/eaMwFlBy

There are also wireless triggers that you can use, but they are considerably more expensive.

Make sure to set your camera to Manual, with shutter speed no faster than 1/180s.

- Jason