Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Just a report back on the tenpa 1.36 ...

The packaging, materials, and lens are all of good quality, and the eyepiece fits very snugly on the K-x without interfering with the LCD protector. It does magnify, and the optical quality is fine.

I don't think for a minute it cost the manufacturer much more than 10% of what was paid for it, which is a tough pill to swallow when ordering direct from China, but at least it was comparable in price to other adapters on the market.

Criticisms:
1)Vignetting - Even with my eye jammed into eyepiece (and no glasses), there is vignetting at the sides and corners.

2)Flare - I can't determine if the adapter lens itself is flaring or if it is just magnifying edge flare from the Pentax optics, but in combination with the aforementioned vignetting, the end result is that there is flare over the status bar such that it is more difficult to read in bright light than without the magnifier.

3)Eyecup - I thought that in the worst case, I could remove the lens and just use the rubber eyecup.. One of my problems with the viewfinder was not light through the viewfinder, but incident light, making it difficult to see the status bar. Unfortunately the double "flip" design of the eyecup means that when you press your face into it hard enough to seal all external light, the whole thing flips back into its secondary configuration.

Conclusion: Don't waste your money - unless you want to buy mine, of course.
Thanks for the report. I always suspected as much.

Some people love them, but I could never understand the principle of the thing.

01-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the K-x, and for what it's worth, the data in the K-r's viewfinder appears much brighter. Maybe they had to increase the brightness of the LEDs for the auto-focus points? But the K-r is at least $200 more (well worth the upgrade for all the new features in my opinion).
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
bsamcash, thanks. I'm going to oast that as a new thread and, if that jibes with others' experience, I might be willing to take another shot with a K-r because I liked everything about the K-x except that one issue,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-11-2011 at 07:40 PM.
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Update:

I installed a jinfinance split focus screen, which works quite well except for the central circle being high in the frame (this is discussed in other threads). For reference, it was the K10/K20 screen and was a perfect fit when placed exactly the way the original screen was, and focus was dead on with the original shim left in.

The reason I mention this is that despite all my above bitching about the tenpa magnifier, I have decided that it is useful with a split focus despite its many flaws. I'm not retracting anything I said, but did want to offer the new observation. I will have to use it some more before I make a final decision on whether its usefulness in this capacity outweighs its problems. (and I will clarify that after some examination, the edge flaring I mentioned definitely is all the k-x's fault, not that it makes a difference in the end)

Also, relevant to the viewfinder issue, one thing I have noticed is that there is a semi- glossy textured internal plastic surface in the viewfinder, seems to be just on the sides and bottom of the frame, that reflects the light passing through the viewfinder and causing glare on the sides and bottom of the frame. It's only about 1 millimeter deep and probably holds one of the elements in place. Possibly could be resolved with some matte black paint, but I'm not about to try to open up the camera to try to resolve it. Yet

Last edited by kxr4trids; 01-14-2011 at 11:13 PM.