Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Help - Pentax Kx problem

Hi

I'm the owner of a Pentax Kx and i have a weird problem where the lcd would just be stuck on a black screen, meaning no preview, no options display, and it usually comes back again after 4 or 5 shutter clicks.
Now when i go back to view the pictures, there is always one picture that says "unreadable file". i'm pretty sure that's why the preview doesn't display. it happens on any mode i'm using and saving in jpg.
i have tried different sd cards and the same results.

any ideas ?

thanks

12-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the K-x has a mode where you look only through the viewfinder to adjust and confirm all your settings. Also, make sure your Instant Review is turned on, which is in the camera menu under tab three. If you want to toggle between those display modes (eg. Info menu, Standard, or display off,) just press the info button.
Hope that fixes your problem.
12-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it sometimes shows the preview and then goes completely black without changing any settings it sounds like an electrical problem. I would say send it back for warranty if it is still under coverage if not I would inquire at a camera repair store.
12-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
I got it on ebay so no warranty. and i don't know if the seller knew about the problem or not. it seems like its unable for some reason to save the picture.
so when i go to review the pictures, there is always one that says "unable to read file". the file is also unable to be read when I put the sd card on the computer.
anyway, I will play with it for a while, if it stays the same, i'll get back to a Canon.

thanks,

12-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by armrob Quote
............if it stays the same, i'll get back to a Canon.

thanks,
Yep, that makes sense. I know if I bought something used, off of ebay, that was defective I would most certainly see that as a reason to condemn an entire product line/brand.
12-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by armrob Quote
I got it on ebay so no warranty. and i don't know if the seller knew about the problem or not. it seems like its unable for some reason to save the picture.
so when i go to review the pictures, there is always one that says "unable to read file". the file is also unable to be read when I put the sd card on the computer.
anyway, I will play with it for a while, if it stays the same, i'll get back to a Canon.

thanks,
Sounds to me as an read/write problem.

What kind of SD-card (brand/model) did you use?

Did you format the card before use in the camera?

Are you sure your memory card is not on "locked" position?

By the way, the same problem can happen to an used Canon, Nikon or whatever, so changing brands will not bring you much. Try to figure out and isolate the problem.

cheers,
d
12-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #7

What lens did you have on? Can you record a movie?

I don't remember clearly, but, I think I had a similar problem some time back while using a Pentax-M 200mm. The mirror would get stuck in the "up" position. I think it was due to a slightly bent aperture... switch(?) in the lens. So, I straightened it out, tried it in another K-x camera, then it works again!
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #8

Try a different SD card. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad card.

12-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
Try a different SD card. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad card.
I've tried different cards. I'm using a new one and had it formatted by the camera.
It's been a few days and I've not seen the problem yet.
So I really hope it was the card.
Thanks to all for the ideas .