Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie Question re: K100DS

Hey All,
So I am new here and thought I would browse around and hope that someone here would be able to assist me.

A couple of years ago my (ex) wife and I brought a Pentax K100D Super as our son was born and we wanted to capture some shots of him doing... well Baby things.

The camera came with the 18-50mm (1:3.5-5.6 DC) lense, however he has grown up now and he is doing things alot faster and alot further away from "daddy" by the time "daddy" grabs the camera.

I would like to purchase a new lense with greater zoom so I can grab those "from a distance" photos however to be honest I am a complete newbie with this type of thing and don't really know the first thing about cameras- my expertise with them is turn it on point and click the button.

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to direct me to a decent place to pick up lenses on the internet that ship to Australia - I tried Amazon and went all the way through the payment part only to find out the guy didn't want to ship to Australia.

And was also hoping someone here could recommend a decent size lense to be able to get those photos I was after - I am hoping to step up my photo taking experience however there is no way I can afford to go out and buy a brand new camera - especially after the divorce.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading this thread, and I wish you and your families a very safe and merry festive season.

12-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unfanatic Quote
Hey All,
So I am new here and thought I would browse around and hope that someone here would be able to assist me.

A couple of years ago my (ex) wife and I brought a Pentax K100D Super as our son was born and we wanted to capture some shots of him doing... well Baby things.

The camera came with the 18-50mm (1:3.5-5.6 DC) lense, however he has grown up now and he is doing things alot faster and alot further away from "daddy" by the time "daddy" grabs the camera.

I would like to purchase a new lense with greater zoom so I can grab those "from a distance" photos however to be honest I am a complete newbie with this type of thing and don't really know the first thing about cameras- my expertise with them is turn it on point and click the button.

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to direct me to a decent place to pick up lenses on the internet that ship to Australia - I tried Amazon and went all the way through the payment part only to find out the guy didn't want to ship to Australia.

And was also hoping someone here could recommend a decent size lense to be able to get those photos I was after - I am hoping to step up my photo taking experience however there is no way I can afford to go out and buy a brand new camera - especially after the divorce.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading this thread, and I wish you and your families a very safe and merry festive season.
Hi,
My 1st DSLR was the K100d with the 18-55mm kit lens as you have. A nice setup but I was always changing lenses to the 28-80 and 70-300 film SLR lenses I had. Not a grab and shoot situation and exposed to getting dust on the sensor.

I purchased a Pentax 18-250 lens and have been very happy with it. Good all around lens for me as I like the wide angle capabilities for landscapes yet able to zoom in on the grandkids quickly. There is the Tamron version of this and their new release which is a 18-270. You'll spend upwards to $500 for these.

Although I have not used the Sigma or Tamron 18-200 zooms, I have feedback from users that they are respectable lenses for most of us. And you'll pay a lot less on the used market.

There are some folks that regard these "all purpose" lenses as not so good as they are not perfect and they are correct in that notion. But I believe for most of us that just want a good walk around and versitile lens they all will do the job that is acceptable for the money invested and the convenience.

As far as where to buy. I have bought from Amazon as you have tried but also do business with Ebay. Lots to choose form there and some good buys on used items.

Happy Hunting--Larry