Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #1

K-x refuses to capture

Hello again,

I'm still learning the K-x since I've only had it for almost one week.
I've noticed that sometimes it will focus, but without the beep and then it wont capture anything. The information line on the bottom of the viewfinder, it's blinking like crazy.
What does this mean? I have read the manual but couldn't find anything about this particular problem, unless I just missed it.

Anyone got an idea?

12-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is off the top of my head, but it sounds to me like you're exposure isn't set correctly and out of range of what the camera deems acceptable. I'm a newbie here as well, so I hope I've got all the terminology correct.
12-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it doesn't beep (and the hexagon in the viewfinder is not solid) then it is not satisfied it has managed to focus. This is prone to happen in low light or if there is not enough contrast for the AF sensor (e.g. trying to focus on a blank wall). I suspect it might blink the viewfinder display when it is unable to set "reasonable" parameters in one of the auto-modes, such as when light is not good, flash is not in use, ISO is set low and this would result in a very long exposure.
12-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Try turning of the lens autofocus switch and see if it captures anything. Can you shoot anything in daylight? Maybe you are using single AF point and have selected the far edge point and the camera is finding it difficult to focus on that point.

12-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hey, thanks all!

It sounds probable, since it does it in very low light and I guess, not good enough settings.
So it's all normal then, thank you guys!