Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Forum Member

Additionally, Nikon, Canon, and Minolta all have lenses where you can tweak the amount of correction available (e.g. the Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus). With these lenses you can deliberately increase the SA, which makes the OOF nicer.

12-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by orly_andico Quote
Additionally, Nikon, Canon, and Minolta all have lenses where you can tweak the amount of correction available (e.g. the Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus). With these lenses you can deliberately increase the SA, which makes the OOF nicer.
Thank you for your comments, they have helped me understand oof characteristics and causes.

I had a Canon 135 SF and had no idea what was going on - at that time Bokeh was just a word to me! My son has it now - maybe I can convince him to try some Bokeh tests with it.

At this point I'm guessing that a perfect lens' oof image of a point of light would be similar to a gaussian clipped at the edges by the aperture. Is this correct for far-from-focus conditions? Or would the oof disk be uniform intensity in theory?

Last edited by newarts; 12-28-2010 at 06:39 AM.
12-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

newarts, your first surmise is correct. The ideal bokeh would be a Gaussian.

a uniform disk is neutral bokeh.
12-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by orly_andico Quote
newarts, your first surmise is correct. The ideal bokeh would be a Gaussian.

a uniform disk is neutral bokeh.
Thanks again...

I found Ken Rockwell's Bokeh discussion to be helpful; he makes a good distinction between theoretically perfect bokeh (a uniform disk) and artistically ideal bokeh (a soft-edged disk or gaussian disk with soft edges).

Also see Klaus Shuler's instructive page: http://bokehtests.com/Site/About_Bokeh.html

Last edited by newarts; 12-28-2010 at 07:36 AM.