Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

help with off camera flash unit, suggestions?

Hi! my house is a cave, i have 10-12 ft ceilings to work with and I would like to be able to bounce the flash... I have very limited funds right now. I was looking for a cheap flash that I may be able to use externally when I am able to buy a better flash. there are so many options though!

two I have been looking at are:

Amazon.com: Vivitar Bounce Zoom Slave Flash " Enhance Photos, Colors & Saturation " For The Pentax K-X SLR Digital Camera: Electronics

and:

Amazon.com: Precision Design DSLR300 Universal High Power Auto Flash with Zoom/Bounce/Swivel Head for Pentax K-7, K-5, K-x, K-r, K20D, K200D, K2000 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

but then there are many many many off name brands I see on ebay. Any suggestions? any experience with the above listed flashes? Thanks so much in advance. my daughters bday party is in two weeks and I would love to have one on my doorstep prior to that!

Last edited by CEWren; 12-26-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: saved prior to finishing
12-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oh, and I have a Pentax Kx. that might be important to mention!
12-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The second one would appear to be a basic manual one with tilt&swivel head and adjustable power output; the details are pretty terse, not even a guide number (indicating max. power) is given. The ability to adjust the head direction is essential so that the light can be bounced off the ceiling or wall, this softens the light and helps eliminate shadows, in other words eliminates much of the shot with built-in flash look. Adjustable power is very good to have too.

I have Youngnuo YN-560 that has tilt&swivel as well as adjustable power, which I can recommend. I got this for US$ 65 shipping included from Ebay (actually I was so pleased with it that I bought a second one :-). These seem to be available from 3rd party Amazon sellers too for a similar price: Amazon.com: Speedlite YN560 Flash for Pentax Olympus, Samsung Cameras: Electronics

Another option would be getting a Pentax AF280T second-hand, this should come even cheaper. I understand (from a post here) that this works with the camera automatics and is therefore more convenient to use. I currently have one in transit (from Ebay, seems to be a reasonably common item).

Last edited by jolepp; 12-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
12-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These links may be helpful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/104364-no...questions.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91846-k-x-af280t-how-use.html

Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax AF280T Flash and Pentax K-x