Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Novice help

Hi Guys When i try to use my K7 in the manual setting i dont seem to be able to set the aperture and the shutter settings i can change the shutter setting but the aperture stays on f22 is this something to do with the available light at the time , any help would be great Cheers Kevin

12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The front wheel controls the shutter speed, the back wheel controls the aperture. If the wheels aren't responding press the shutter release down half way and try again. Hope this solves it.
12-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info but that didnt help the aperature only moves for a second and then back to f22
12-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.
What lens are you using? Do you have the camera set to allow the camera to automatically adjust for going beyond the limits of the camera's settings according to the available light? If so, your above scenario sounds like you were in very bright conditions with a slow shutter speed and high ISO setting. And if so, you should reconsider the other settings.

12-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Ash The lens in a sigma APO 70-300, at and there wasnt to much light not with the rain around at the moment but i still think your info is correct as it looks like the camera is trying stop me making a mistake,any tips on where to change theses settings
Cheers Kevin
12-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K-7 to advise, but your manual should be the first port of call - indexed for ease.
Go through the menu items if you don't have one - it will be there.
12-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to those who helped il go through the menu and figure it out
Cheers Kevin

12-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try removing and re-installing the lens. You can also try cleaning the contacts, they might be dirty.
12-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Make sure you are not in Auto ISO mode (camera selects ISO), set it to a fixed value. Make sure you are in M mode (on the mode dial). You should be able to select both shutter speed and aperture separately. If you are in TAv mode, the camera will behave much like you describe. Also, if you are using the Green button to do stop down metering, Don't. Instead set your camera to do Optical Preview, pg130. In M mode, pulling the preview switch will activate the meter. In M mode, I have the shutter speed set on the rear e-dial because when I'm using it, typically I have a Non A type lens on the camera. I can pull the preview with my index finger, adjust shutter speed with the rear dial, and adjust the aperture with the ring. If the lens is in A mode the lens will just stop down to your preselected aperture. If while the lens is in A mode and if you half press the shutter while turning either dial, the camera will behave as if it's in TAv mode.

The most that should happen as a warning when you've under/over exposed your exposure is the shutter speed or aperture will blink (and/or turn Red on the Live View screen).

12-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Jeff followed all your information and all seems the same tried changing the e dials around to have aperture on the back and shutter on the front and no change both the auto lenses i have are causing the same problem, i set the green button to change the aperture in m mode and the aperture changes ok but this seems to be defeating the purpose of manual mode ,thanks for all your help
Cheers Kevin
12-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Let's pick this apart a little bit...

1. We've established that both E dials are working, Correct? The way I had mine set on the K7 and have them set on the K5 is as follows...

(on K7, they've moved the e-dial settings to the record menu on the K5)
Custom menu #C4 24 Tv mode is set to 5 (shutter speed rear, ISO Front)
Custom menu #C4 25 Av mode is set to 4 (Aperture Rear, ISO Front)
Custom menu #C4 26 TAv and M mode set to 2 (Shutter Speed Rear, Aperture Front, ISO button used for changing ISO).

I have Auto ISO turned off in every mode that will let me turn it off (hold down the ISO button and turn the rear dial to the left, Hold the ISO button and press the Green button to turn it back on). Digital preview is turned off and optical preview is turned on (Record Menu 3).

I also don't use the green button but use the meter and adjust aperture and shutter accordingly. If you have the electronic level turned on you will not see the meter but rather a Number that represents the exposure (0 is a centered meter).

2. Your Sigma APO is set on A and you've confirmed it's working, Correct? That is, you can go to Av mode and set the aperture to something other than f22 and the lens responds properly. If you go to Tv mode, you can set the shutter speed and the aperture will follow for correct exposure?

3. Forget about the Green button (for now). Look through your viewfinder and tap the shutter release to activate the meter (Lens set on A). At this point you should be able to adjust both the shutter speed and aperture while watching the meter (I use Spot metering BTW). Be careful not to hit the AE-L during this procedure either (I hate where they put that button). You may want to increase the Meter Active time, Custom menu 1 #4, pg 114.

If as set in #3 you half press the shutter release while turning a dial, the camera will behave as if it is in TAv mode with a fixed ISO. That is, it will hold the exposure and depending on which dial you turn, the other should adjust accordingly.

4. Take your lens off of the A setting and choose some value. Now while looking through the viewfinder, pull the preview. This will stop down the lens to your desired aperture (the Aperture will read F-- on the camera and will record as 0). While holding the preview lever, adjust your meter by turning the rear dial changing the shutter speed, assuming you set your camera as I recommended. You can also leave the shutter speed and aperture where they are and adjust the ISO to set your exposure. This is how I set exposure when using M, K, and M42 lenses (the M42 lenses are already stopped down without activating the preview but it still must be done to activate the meter).

To me, M mode is to have Total control over the exposure. The Green button still defeats that purpose. That may just be me though.

So, At what point is your camera failing, or is it operator error? Have you tried a different lens? Does It work? If so and yes, then the problem may be your Siggy APO.

12-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Jeff I followed all your instructions and set the camera up as described
The lens seems ok as the aperture will change in av mode and in tv mode the aperture will follow the shutter , everything worked as you described in step 4 ,
but despite all your great help the camera will still only let me change the shutter not the aperture in manual mode this is the same with my only other lense which is the 18 - 55 kit lens which came with the camera. Sorry Jeff maybe this is a fault with the camera? Cheers Kevin
12-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Ok, we've established your lenses are working. If you set everything as in #1, were you able to change the ISO with the Front dial? What I'm trying to confirm here is that Both of your E-dials are working.

You may have tried these already but just to rule things out...

1. Can you adjust the Aperture in TAv (Set the limits of the auto ISO to some low range like 100-200)?
2. Set the Green Button for Av shift (Custom menu 4, Green Button in TAv/M mode set to 3). Select a shutter speed and press the green button (M mode). Select a different shutter speed and press the green button. Did the Aperture change?

If the camera dials are working as they should, the lenses are working as they should, then I'm stumped. It just doesn't make any sense to me that Everything works BUT the ability to change Aperture, with the dials, in M mode. The only thing I'm left with at this point that you could try is a reset to factory defaults (pg 290).

12-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jeff i was able to change the iso with the front dial and the green button did change the aperture after changing the shutter speed, tried the factory reset and sorry to the same problem is still there i think i will contact pentax here in Australia and see if they have any ideas and maybe send the camera in for them to look at once again thanks very much for your help and if i get the problem solved ill let you know the outcome Cheers Kev
12-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Do you have a Pentax AF lens you can try it with, or does a friend? Also I found quite a few places to do 'a factory reset' on my K7 - it seems to be split here there and everywhere.