Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Quick-shots setting, K-x?

Hello again,

I've been wondering, what do you guys use for quick-shots with the K-x?
I mean, if you're walking along the street or whatever, and all of a sudden an eagle comes and sits on a branch, and you only have a split-second to react and take a picture, what setting would you use?

I know there's always the Auto-pict mode, but any other ideas?

I know I'll need to know this since lots of times I only have a few seconds on me to capture a good shot, at least of moving targets, such as birds, animals, kids, whatever.

Ideas, tips?

12-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have a K-x but will answer based upon my K-7 experience:

My basic settings are:
- P mode
- AF centered
- AF.S
- 14 Mpg 2 stars
- all in-camera PP switched off

For low-light conditions, and this might be more specific to the K-7, I set my K-7 User settings with High-IASO correction (Strong) starting at 800 ISO.

Hope that the info will assist....
12-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I do not have a K-x but will answer based upon my K-7 experience:

My basic settings are:
- P mode
- AF centered
- AF.S
- 14 Mpg 2 stars
- all in-camera PP switched off

For low-light conditions, and this might be more specific to the K-7, I set my K-7 User settings with High-IASO correction (Strong) starting at 800 ISO.

Hope that the info will assist....
Ok so P-mode. I haven't tried that mode yet so we'll see. Heard somewhere that it is not a favorite mode to use, but now I have heard the opposite from many, so I'll have to try it and see what's up.
Thanks!
12-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seww Quote
Ok so P-mode. I haven't tried that mode yet so we'll see. Heard somewhere that it is not a favorite mode to use, but now I have heard the opposite from many, so I'll have to try it and see what's up.
Thanks!
P-mode allows you to adjust whatever the camera got wrong in full Auto. It's also a more practical mode to already be in for the photos you were taking before the eagle showed up, again because of the adjustments. User mode on the advanced cameras allows you to pick and choose the exact setup.

Knowing the controls cold really helps. Also know the viewfinder data. The back display is nice but it's faster to make adjustments with the camera to your eye.

If I have even a little advance warning, I like to have a flexible AF zoom mounted. Inside, a P-TTL flash too. With the stuff I have, that means the DA 16-45 and AF 540FGZ. This is when the DA 16-45 is often too short, and I really could use the DA 17-70. I'll raise ISO if I have time, usually it's set to 100. With less time, I'll just take a shot, but be thinking about changing a setting for the next shot.