Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-7; Built to last a lifetime?

I have had my eye on a K-7 for a long time and I went to the store to try one out today. The vendor said

- "That sir is a camera for life. Most SLRs will need servicing after 2 years and are probably going to be good for the bin in 10 but this, is amazing - you can shower with it, you can cover it with sand, you can kick it down some stairs - it will last you for ever. With servicing you'll be using this camera on your deathbed."

Is it really that awesome? I mean sure it's expensive but will it really last that long if serviced properly? What makes it so superior? Thanks!

PS: Longevity and toughness is a main argument in my choice between a D90 and a K-7.

12-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe he was expecting you, as a lively Student, do die young. It is a hell of a camera and it is better in many aspects then the D90. I wouldn't kick it down some stairs to often. My late K-7 (I sold it) had some incidents but never gave up on me. In a bar on St.Patricks Day an almost full Guinnes was spoilt over my camera (with DA*55mm). Scary for everyone, but I just cleaned it behind the bar under the water tap. Your D90 would have died that moment.
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Relax :-) It's a salesman. Plus he said "most SLR's will need servicing after 2 years", and then says "with service" Pentax will last a lifetime. So what's the difference?
12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So you're telling me that with shutter service it MIGHT just last me a lifetime?

12-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm quite sure both these cameras will live until they are obsolete. K-7 will be able to get through some extra rough handling along the way.
12-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lifetime is relative, with reasonable care it should last you a long time.

Chocolate milk spillage, followed by a shower in the sink, did not stop my K7.
12-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's pretty awesome! What about a snowstorm?

12-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I remember buying a Canon SLR in 96 or so. The dealer said, "yeah it's a shame they put these lcd screens on the top. They only last about 6 years before they go dead, and good luck finding a replacement" Seemed a reasonable concern at the time, but I don't think that problem ever came to pass.
12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
That's pretty awesome! What about a snowstorm?
There are K7/ snow images posted here on the forums. Some were spectacular.
Do a search..
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've posted this before, but...

Allow me to submit this as evidence for the toughness of the K-7. Watch all the way to the end. Three months, and many frames later, body and lens both work just fine. That same body has also spent plenty of time in the Joshua Tree desert, been in many rain storms, been clamped to the outside of a VW bus for 45 minutes of driving in a thunderstorm, been left on the roof of my car in a lowepro toploader which then flew off the roof as I drove away, and has been generally abused it's entire life. Besides being fairly scratched, it is still in perfect working order.
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K7 is a solid performer both in build and reliability. Its weaknesses are in the areas of low light shooting (high ISO) and its autofocus ability. Reports are that the K5 also has a broader dynamic range. I have the K7 and love it despite these weaknesses (which may only be an issue for a certain subset of users and not the average amatuer photographer). What I have found fascinating is too look at the images taken with the 6 megapixle istD, Pentax's first digital camera, on the Pentax Imaging website's gallery. The gallery can be searched by body type, lens, etc. My point is that the K7 is 3 generations beyond the istD, the latter of which still produces amazing photos when used with good quality lenses. For all of its so called weaknesses the K7 has been relatively problem free compared to the K5. I would agree with the salesman (hype aside) that a K7 will last at least 3 generations and with its 14.6 mexapixels will most likely be taking amazing pictures too for a very long time.
12-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I've posted this before, but...

Allow me to submit this as evidence for the toughness of the K-7. Watch all the way to the end. Three months, and many frames later, body and lens both work just fine. That same body has also spent plenty of time in the Joshua Tree desert, been in many rain storms, been clamped to the outside of a VW bus for 45 minutes of driving in a thunderstorm, been left on the roof of my car in a lowepro toploader which then flew off the roof as I drove away, and has been generally abused it's entire life. Besides being fairly scratched, it is still in perfect working order.
You should wash your dishes before taking video of your kitchen.
12-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AlunFoto - PESO/Snowproofed
I found this inspiring.
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on how much you shoot. Shooting at a rate of a thousand photos, the shutter will last a hundred years. Of course, most people will shoot more than that with digital. The body itself is really sturdy, but electronics have a way of failing eventually. The other thing is that batteries go and in ten years, you will probably have trouble finding a replacement battery.

I have a hard time describing anything electronic as being "made to last a lifetime," but the K7 is an awfully well built camera.
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7 with melted snow on it, would be nice if the 540 was weather proof also.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.