Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
That's pretty awesome! What about a snowstorm?
Do note that for the weather sealing to be completely effective, you need a weather sealed Lens. That means either the 18-55 WR kit lens (mediocre) or a DA* lens (note the *). Some of the newer DA lenses I guess are WR as well, the DA 18-135 and the DA35 f2.4. I don't know what the true difference between Weather Resistant and Weather Sealed is when it comes to lenses. May just be price in paying the extra Pentax Tax for that *.

That said, This was taken during one of these wet snow storms with my K5 (same platform) and a DA*16-50, the same lens shown in the big splash video..

No worries at all.

12-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K7 with melted snow on it, would be nice if the 540 was weather proof also.
I agree. Pentax is very much due for a new flash, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be WR.
12-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

PENTAX K7 Sales Pitch in the shower!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik[/YT]
12-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Do note that for the weather sealing to be completely effective, you need a weather sealed Lens. That means either the 18-55 WR kit lens (mediocre) or a DA* lens (note the *). Some of the newer DA lenses I guess are WR as well, the DA 18-135 and the DA35 f2.4. I don't know what the true difference between Weather Resistant and Weather Sealed is when it comes to lenses. May just be price in paying the extra Pentax Tax for that *.

That said, This was taken during one of these wet snow storms with my K5 (same platform) and a DA*16-50, the same lens shown in the big splash video..

No worries at all.

Careful what you say - the DA 35 f/2.4 is not weather sealed at all.

12-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When that fine camera finally does give out from the loads of severe abuse you're putting it through will you send it's poor beleaguered carcass my way? I'd like to have it bronzed and enshrined in my living room. That camera will surely deserve a proper memorial don't you think?

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I've posted this before, but...Allow me to submit this as evidence for the toughness of the K-7. Watch all the way to the end. Three months, and many frames later, body and lens both work just fine. That same body has also spent plenty of time in the Joshua Tree desert, been in many rain storms, been clamped to the outside of a VW bus for 45 minutes of driving in a thunderstorm, been left on the roof of my car in a lowepro toploader which then flew off the roof as I drove away, and has been generally abused it's entire life. Besides being fairly scratched, it is still in perfect working order.
12-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Amazing! Thanks guys! Any advice on weather sealed portrait lenses?
12-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I expect my K-5 to serve me for at least 5 years. My Panasonic FZ-5 served me for a little more than 5 years, surely the sturdy K-5 should be able to do the same

12-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #23

I have done a lot of research on the first part and there isn't a clear cut answer, but I would doubt Pentax would downplay the weather resistance of a lens, which would be the case with "WR" lenses if they had the same sealing as DA*.....no claims of dust resistance with WR lenses, just *

I believe you are incorrect that it was a 16-50 in the video...look at the lens hood....I think it's a prime (DA*200 probably?) unless he switched lens hoods (though point is both are DA* which have the same sealing)
12-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
I have done a lot of research on the first part and there isn't a clear cut answer, but I would doubt Pentax would downplay the weather resistance of a lens, which would be the case with "WR" lenses if they had the same sealing as DA*.....no claims of dust resistance with WR lenses, just *

I believe you are incorrect that it was a 16-50 in the video...look at the lens hood....I think it's a prime (DA*200 probably?) unless he switched lens hoods (though point is both are DA* which have the same sealing)
You're probably correct. It is likely a prime. Looking at the video again (hadn't actually watched it in a couple months), it looks like the only one I don't own, the DA*200. It looks like the lens body is thinner than the 16-50. The point does still fit however, as you state. Looks like I'm also wrong in stating the DA35 f2.4 is WR. I also missed a lens in the WR line up and that's the DFA100mm f2.8 WR 1:1 macro (aside from the 'kit' lenses).

12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You're probably correct. It is likely a prime. Looking at the video again (hadn't actually watched it in a couple months), it looks like the only one I don't own, the DA*200. It looks like the lens body is thinner than the 16-50. The point does still fit however, as you state. Looks like I'm also wrong in stating the DA35 f2.4 is WR. I also missed a lens in the WR line up and that's the DFA100mm f2.8 WR 1:1 macro (aside from the 'kit' lenses).

It was a gripped k-7 with the DA* 300mm f/4. The video was shot with the k-7/16-50, though.
12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
When that fine camera finally does give out from the loads of severe abuse you're putting it through will you send it's poor beleaguered carcass my way? I'd like to have it bronzed and enshrined in my living room. That camera will surely deserve a proper memorial don't you think?
Indeed. It certainly deserves a full benefits funeral. Perhaps I'll have it dipped in gold and wear around my neck as bling.
12-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #27

Amazing! Thanks guys! Any advice on weather sealed portrait lenses?
Yeah, the DA* 55/1.4. Pricey for a student, tho!
12-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherproof Quote
Yeah, the DA* 55/1.4. Pricey for a student, tho!
Oh my god! Yes, I want that one! Do I need to see a doctor? LBA...

Other than that I heard people say the weather sealing on K-7 was better than on the K5. Uh, Really?
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Other than that I heard people say the weather sealing on K-7 was better than on the K5. Uh, Really?
As far as I know, they are completely identical.
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Oh my god! Yes, I want that one! Do I need to see a doctor? LBA...

Probably K7 owners looking for a reason (other than money) not to get the K5. Or worse yet, people who have never held either camera or any other weather sealed Pentax for that matter.