Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Jipped on a K-x?

I recently purchased (with maybe a little too much haste) a Pentax K-x off of Amazon. This particular purchase was drastically marked down in comparison to the other K-x for sale on the same site.
Here is the link to the one I purchased:
Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 16202 Digital SLR Camera with DA L 18-55 and 50-200mm Lenses (White): Camera & Photo

Here is the link to the main K-x sales page:
Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (White): Camera & Photo

My question here is "Was I jipped?"

Note that the Technical details in the K-x main page state that it is equipped with HDR image capture and 11 point wide angle auto focus. The sales page for the Pentax K-x 16202, does not state these specific qualities, would this be the reason for them being the same price even though the one I purchased has two lenses as opposed to the one? Just curious if I am going to be dissapointed with a camera that does not have all the fun and features promised. thanks!

12-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No, you didn't get ripped off. A K-x is a K-x, regardless of who you buy it from.

For comparison, B & H Photo Video, in New York, a store that many consider to be the gold standard for online camera retailers, is selling the same kit you bought for $569.00, with free UPS shipping. According to the link you provided, you only paid $544. It is unusual for an honest retailer to beat B & H by that much.

The difference in the two Amazon prices is easy to explain. One (the one you bought) is sold by Amazon itself, while the other is sold through Amazon by Ace Photo Digital. Amazon is considered by most to be an honest retailer, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have never heard of Ace Photo Digital. That, in itself, doesn't mean much. They have no entry on Reseller Ratings (Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores). Amazon is normally pretty good about screening their partners, to weed out the scam artists, who advertise unbelievably low prices, and then pressure the buyer to "upgrade" or buy overpriced, unneccessary accessories.
12-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

I paid $540 for the same kit last week.
12-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You simply got the camera from a reseller though Amazon, not from Amazon itself. If the camera is defective, return it, and in case of any problem contact Amazon. But most likely you won't have any problem and your camera is going to be fine. In any case, no rip off here.

12-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, my mind is at ease now! Thanks for confirming that for me, I was worried that my new baby wasn't going to have all the bells and whistles I had purchased it for! I'll be seeing you soon with many photo critiques questions and a whole slew of how-to's! Thanks again!
12-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry as well. I paid $560 for body and 18-55mm kit lens in November of 2009 from Newegg. Great camera btw.
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

BTW: the word is gypped. Comes from people claiming to be ripped off by gypsies - hence the term gypped. Lesson over!
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did good. Straight from Amazon itself, which is the best way to buy from Amazon's site IMHO, at a pretty low price. Good deal. Welcome aboard!

12-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
BTW: the word is gypped. Comes from people claiming to be ripped off by gypsies - hence the term gypped. Lesson over!
I'm going to impress as many people as possible with this new piece of information (Not being sarcastic either)

To answer the question, the only way you could get "gypped" is if the camera is pre-owned, refurbished or if it's a Tentax K-x
12-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Stjonnypopo Quote
I'm going to impress as many people as possible with this new piece of information (Not being sarcastic either)
Yes, I'm just full of useless bits of knowledge. Some people claim I'm full of other stuff too...
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Inactive Account

now it's 529 on buy.com. is it a good deal?
12-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gem08132 Quote
now it's 529 on buy.com. is it a good deal?
Good camera, prefer the 55-300 lens as do most reviewers, but $529 is a good price for the kit. Always depends on who the seller is though. When straight from Amazon that sort of price is terrific. From some sellers less so.
12-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well, I happen to be a lover of useless information, and I sit here, humbly corrected and forever renouncing formerly offensive words and phrases such as Gypped (blotting the sweat from my brow, thankful I am not receiving a refurbished Tentax!) "rule of thumb" and Jerry-rigged. Thank you for help, my mind it at ease, and entertained it too!