Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D -- My Impressions.

Hello everyone,

After having the K10D for a couple of days I think I can now add to the already sizable collection of initial impressions about this camera.

I'll start off with the negatives so those can get out of the way:

1. My biggest concern with how the camera is made is the AF-mode selection switch. Moving it between AF-S, AF-C and M is a little annoying, especially when you're not looking and even more so when you have gloves on as well. There should definitely be FIRM stops on each of the three AF points instead of the selection switch feeling like it's just an ON-OFF switch. If it was a purely aesthetic problem, I wouldn't be complaining here but an AF selection switch is kind of important and I don't want it getting loose over time with use.

2. The AE-L button is in a strange spot, but I guess it was a sacrifice since I see no better position for it under the circumstances... sure it could be a little more to the left but the way the thumb rest is molded, it would be very easy to press that button by accident so I guess they had a reason to put it where it is. Still, I'd have liked a better placed AE-L button.

3. Negative #3 is not a negative, it's more a "wish" than anything else. I would have liked to have B&W shooting capability both in RAW and JPG modes. By shooting I mean having the capability to select B&W mode and then shoot the images, instead of shooting the images first and then turning them B&W later.
On the D200s that I use (just use, not own) I find B&W RAW mode to be useful. Sure it sounds a bit silly, considering it's RAW and the settings don't matter... BUT, they do give you a nice reference point and another advantage is that the image review in the back also goes B&W so you can "see" in B&W as well. It's easy to use B&W film because you're doing all the previewing in your head anyway, but when you're out to shoot digital B&W images while the previews you see are in full vibrant colours, kind of disrupting to the thought process. BUT, I CAN live without this. :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the positives... I don't think I really need to say much. The camera is all that it's made out to be. Feels SOLID, grips very well and not to mention it's fast operation and fantastic image quality. I haven't done extensive testing although that is coming up too.

I will confirm that ISO 1600 on the K10D is not too far behind what one would get from a K100D or a DS. I haven't done extensive testing since I only have had the camera for a couple of days, but this is my feeling now after checking some images I took in the evening.

Also, the Konica Minolta NP-400 battery WILL work with the K10D, I can confirm this 100% because I got one of those batteries today, charged it using the Pentax charger and it's in my camera as I'm typing this post. Apparently the *only* difference between the two batteries is the mAh rating, where the Pentax is 1620mAh while the NP-400 is 1500mAh.

Pentax browser/lab is slow and clunky, sometimes it can crash for no reason (although that situation is now much better with V3 compared to previous releases), but the end result is as good as the best since the engine is from the well known Silkypix RAW conversion software.

This is all I have to say, for now, more to follow as I use the K10D more. :-)

Cheers!
-Asad

12-07-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, its a nice camera, thats for sure. After having used it for a few days I find it most annoying that it cancels the RAW+ action and goes to jpg only if you change exposure mode. I tought I would try jpg with this camera, but perhaps I should go for raw only as I did with the *istDS. But then again those raw files are quite large and most of the time I can do with jpg. Switching easily from jpg to raw with a dedicated button is nice, but it shouldn't cancel raw if that was not intended.
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Asad, glad you like it. I have to say its the best camera I've handled for a long time.